Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Phantom fat

I am down from 195 to 156.6 and I swear at times I still don't see it. People think I am nuts but I swear I still feel fat.

How has anyone else dealt with the phantom fat syndrome??

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    I find pictures help. If you compare before and now photos you can't help but see it.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    I am right there with you. I never have saw myself as fit, even at my lightest and fittest.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Phantom Fat Syndrome.. I couldn't have thought of a better name myself! I am a chronic suffer'er of this. As a PP said.. pictures. It's the only way I can accept a lighter me. Side by side, before & after pictures.
  • Lamber8301
    Lamber8301 Posts: 10
    Definitely look at before and after pictures - I agree! Then it's right in front of you. Often times when you're in the middle of something like this, it can be difficult to see what everyone else sees.
  • Ealyj
    Ealyj Posts: 1
    I am down from 174 to 135 and I have felt the same way. My new clothes size is what has helped me. I saw the same
    figure in the mirror, but I look at my old size 12's and compare my new size 4's and I have to notice
    the difference. It'll come with getting used to the new body because we were so very familiar wih the old one.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Oh yes! And, certain days are worse than others. but, I agree photo's help. I think I had an old mental image of myself, even though I really was bigger than that- so when I think of how I look I compare my mirror image or how I feel to that mental image and there is little difference. Every once in a while I catch a glimpse in the mirror and can see the difference. It's very odd isn't it? You can see how it's possible to go from one type of eating disorder to the extreme opposite.
  • leahkayl
    leahkayl Posts: 7 Member
    I agree about the photos. I have kept a picture of when I was at my heaviest and
    that inspires me to try to keep off the weight I have lost and hopefully continue to
    lose more!! Good Luck!! You look great in your profile pic!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one. I went from 187 to 139 and I still feel HUGE
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    I was wondering what that is but it makes sense. Weight gain and loss takes a while for your brain to catch up. I wrote my last blog on not understanding both time when I gained weight and now when I'm losing.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Yes! I like that name for it. I've always struggled with this. I got down to 88 lbs from an eating disorder when I was a teenager and thought I was huge still. Nobody could understand how I still felt fat. It is a common problem.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    It took me a long time to realize how thin i became. I would look in the mirror and still see a bigger me even though my clothes didn't fit. It became a realization when my family came to see me and they all remarked how much I had "shrunk". Then I embraced it and actually saw the "smaller" me in the mirror. I still catch myself looking for jeans in my "old" size (when you wear a size 12 for years) it just becomes second nature...but I'm much happier especially now that I got over my own complex of not seeing my true self.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    This describes me perfectly. I went from 152 to 129lbs. (my goal was 130) and I still feel fat. Especially when I'm sitting in the recliner with the foot thing up, wearing only a bra and panties and I look down at my thighs and stomach, I want to scream! It makes me think my scale doesn't work even though it's a new Taylor digital one. I didn't take before pictures so that's out. I do track my measurements and have seen a huge decrease in my chest/back (bye bye boobies), some off the waist and hips but not much off my thighs. So I'm going to try and lose another 5lbs. which would put by BMI at an even 20. Wish me luck.