Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Greek Islands & 20 lbs in 20 weeks.

My sister and I have a trip planned to the Greek Islands at the first of September. I'd like to lose 20 lbs between now and then because let's face it.... who wants to float in the Aegean sea wearing a mom-kini? Plus, it's a goal to work for and otherwise I'll be at the same weight I am now in August.

So, current weight is 175. I'm 5'5", 52, post-menopausal. Calories are set to light active (and yes, I'm weighing/measuring foods), I'm getting to the gym and working hard at least 3 times a week.

I've cut out bread and beer. Doing my dead-level best to eat mostly paleo, un-processed whole foods.

Should work like a charm, right? It did during last summer. I tried it again, same thing, in January and nothing. Not a pound.

Any advice? Other than stick with it?

If I could just see some weight come right off the first couple of weeks, I'd be all... "Whoo-Hoo! Let's go hike! Let's go to the gym! Give me that head of broccoli! Hold the cheese sauce!" But it just never seems to work that way for me. I'll bust my butt, sweat like a you-know-what -and my family/sisters .... we sweat, a lot! It's not pretty. But we do have really clear skin though.

I'd love to hear some methods ya'll use to kick-start the scale going down.

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    I don't really kick-start it, but are you tracking your calories? More than anything else, accurate weighing/logging of foods will get you to your goal.

I don't do paleo (it's not historically accurate and food restriction makes me itchy). I eat what I want. And it's working.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    the calorie deficit is the most important thing to track to ensure you lose the weight.
    you could easily do 1lb/week eating at a deficit. WEIGH everything, eat at home mostly so you are doing less estimating.

side note: WTH is a mom-kini?
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    edited March 2015
    First of all, I LOVE your screen name barbecuesauce.

I call it eating paleo, but in reality.... it's just cutting out processed foods. If I can't pronounce it, I 'try' not to eat it. <Cheetos... cough,cough> Or at least severely limit my intake. And it is possible to eat just one. or 4. But, I stop there, I swear!

But I eat dairy, some grains but try and stay away from the wheat... because beer has wheat and draft beer is my kryptonite.

: WTH is a mom-kini? Tank-kini. Skirted swimsuit with the long top to cover my belly. I have several.

I would love to wear a regular bikini while floating in the Aegean.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    beamer0821 wrote: »

side note: WTH is a mom-kini?

lol like a tankini (long top that covers belly and separate swim bottoms, either bikini or shorts)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    and to the OP - i didnt look to see, so you might be doing it, but i would make sure you are weighing everything with a food scale and not measuring cups or eyeballing....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I don't see where you're logging consistently, so are you doing this elsewhere?
  • lrbassmom
    I'll have a good streak and manage to screw up the streak on the weekend. I'm back, with renewed determination to log consistently. <pinky swear>
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Hey, there is nothing wrong with a tankini! I have terrible scars, so I will always be in a tankini. I actually get the most attention at the pool when I wear a one-piece...go figure!

Why only work out three days a week? Do you really need FOUR rest days?

My method for weight loss, weight maintenance and general health is to work out pretty much every day unless my doctor forbids it.
  • lrbassmom
    My sanity can only handle 3 days a week at the gym... The other days I make every effort to do something, even if it's only walking the dogs. It's about to be spring/summer and outdoor activities will increase drastically. I'll be adding gardening, yard work, lap swimming, and even a bit of hiking. Those count don't they?
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    What you eat won't matter for weight loss; calories matter. If you log calories accurately and consistently, using a food scale, you will see results!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    lrbassmom wrote: »
    who wants to float in the Aegean sea wearing a mom-kini?

Whatever weight you do/don't lose, buy the bikini and to hell with it. I'm almost the same height, weight and age as you, and just got back from a nice vacation. I hadn't worn a real bikini for years, but just decided "Why not? If it's good enough for 70 year-old, bigger, French ladies, why not me?" and bought (and wore) one every day! Felt comfortable and I really wasn't out of place.

As for the loss, that additional exercise will help, but it's all about creating the calorie deficit.

• lrbassmom
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    lrbassmom wrote: »
    who wants to float in the Aegean sea wearing a mom-kini?

Whatever weight you do/don't lose, buy the bikini and to hell with it. I'm almost the same height, weight and age as you, and just got back from a nice vacation. I hadn't worn a real bikini for years, but just decided "Why not? If it's good enough for 70 year-old, bigger, French ladies, why not me?" and bought (and wore) one every day! Felt comfortable and I really wasn't out of place.

As for the loss, that additional exercise will help, but it's all about creating the calorie deficit.

I'm about to that point myself. I'm definitely not trying to look like a 20-something. I'd just like to lose some weight so I'm not carrying around an extra 20 lbs while I'm hiking and sight-seeing.