BMI Vs How you look/feel

Options
2»

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Currently lost 250lbs (Starting BMI was 63.8 - Class III Morbid Obesity" and would need to lose another 16lbs to enter the recommended healthy range which i just don't see that happening or want to cause i feel great physically and mentally at my current weight.

I met my size goal but would like to go down 2-3lbs just for a "buffer" while in maintenance.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I feel best between a 21 & 22 BMI. At 25 I feel like a big tub of lard. Everyone is different. Go by the way you feel.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a BMI of 20, and I feel that if I lost more weight i'd cross into that "unhealthfully thin" look. Really I dont even want to lose 5 more lbs. This is the lowest weight I feel comfortable with.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    BMI is exactly 18.5 (108 lbs 5'4 18 yrs old). Close to underweight. How I look? I like the way I look though I need to tone. How I feel? I feel great that I've reached my goal (though went under), but need to start lifting.
  • nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am on the top end of my healthy range,if i have a bad week i enter the over weight range but im happy where i am. I have weighed less and dont look good my face looked gaunt and i looked to thin. Im happy with a uk size 10/12 x
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Mmmm. Last time around I got down to 47.5kg which is still within the healthy weight range for my height. However my ribs were poking out and my periods had stopped.

Well.. my ribs and collar bones were seriously visible at a BMI of 26. Now at 21 or so my pelvis bones are poking out. Reminds me why I never liked to wear jeans as they damaged the skin above my pelvis bones. If I look at my midsection I'm sure my BMI should be much lower (have wide ribs and pelvis), but my legs are a different story alltogether.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A number (weight, BMI, etc) should never define you as a person. If you feel great, look great, and are happy, keep on doing you and enjoying life! :) Life's too short to conform to a perfect number if you don't need to!
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a BMI of 26 and TBH, yes, I am a little overweight, that's why I am on here. However, I know that I will be very slim at a BMI of 22, I've been there before and I looked thin, but not underweight. I dread to think what I would look like with a BMI of 18.5- but then I have never been there.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bit of an update. I've been to the doctor to make sure that there are no serious problems with me, and he said I'm perfectly healthy
  • MichaelVakili
    MichaelVakili Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't trust blindly the BMI. You can trust a before/after picture ,clothes and mirror. Other than that ,it's all bs.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    A number (weight, BMI, etc) should never define you as a person. If you feel great, look great, and are happy, keep on doing you and enjoying life! :) Life's too short to conform to a perfect number if you don't need to!

This! :-)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Laura3BB wrote: »
    Well I think BMI does give us a good indication of where we stand....The definitions of over weight or underweights using BMI are based on long-term deleterious effects on health of our weight....
    Striving for a normal BMI is generally a good idea!

for 75% of the population yes it's a goodish rule of thumb

but 25% of the population being outliers is a huge number of people - people who have more musculature, professional athletes, large frames can be healthy outside the statistical norm of the 19th century mathematician created formula that underpins BMI charts (by the way the guy who invented it in the 1800s said it shouldn't be used on an individual level, it's for population analysis)

this may be true, but i suspect a lot of people who ought to be counted in that 75% think they're in the 25%
    I agree. And I think BMI fits more than 75% of the population well. The exceptions are relatively few. A large frame just means you should be on the higher end instead of the lower end. And few people are so muscular that it puts them over the high end...especially if they still have excess fat to go along with that muscle.

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You can also look at waist to height and waist to hip ratios for other data points on body composition.

As others have mentioned BMI is an instrument developed for populations rather than individuals and is actuarial (if we look at 10,000 people underweight and overweight BMIs can be quite predictive of health, but may suck for n=1).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Phill2488 wrote: »
    Bit of an update. I've been to the doctor to make sure that there are no serious problems with me, and he said I'm perfectly healthy

Excellent