Eating for the sake of it

Options
Hello!

I'm a little curious how many people share my habit. I tend to get to the end of the day with quite a few (around 200-300) calories left before I reach my net intake. When this happens, I find myself eating extra snacks just because I have leftover calories, even though I'm generally not hungry.

This is not a good habit. Once I reach my goal weight and have maintained for a while I want to stop calorie counting. This means I'll need to be used to using my body's hunger signals to make sure I don't over eat.

Some people suggest making sure you get more calories in earlier in the day so there are none left over at the end of the day. But I think if I did that I would probably still just be eating when I'm not hungry, just earlier on in the day rather than after dinner.

Does anyone have a similar habit? If not, what do you guys do to make sure you don't fall into this trap?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Incorperate more calorie dense foods in your meals, full fat dairy, avacados, nuts, use some oil or buter in your cooking, peanut butter
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm the same in that I like eating a snack or two at night so tend to save calories for this.

I imagine I will just have to keep counting when I maintain, which for me is annoying but far preferable to putting all this weight I'm losing back on :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you should be able to add that in your regular meals without an issue.

use butter, oil to cook with; eat a handful of nuts, have some peanut butter crackers, use a 'non light' salad dressing, etc
  • mel02monroe
    mel02monroe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are still trying to get in your calories. One thing you can do is use a more calorie food than what you normally have (reg vs fat free) or handful of nuts or peanut butter to get extra protein. Or maybe you could just up the calories of one of your meals or split it up between the meals.