Does being fat for years lead to muscle gain?

Options
jakx39
jakx39 Posts: 25 Member
Ok so I am just curious. I know when someone is fat there body has to put more muscle mass on in order to support there weight. So me for example I have been obese pretty much my whole live. I am now 19 years old 5,7 and 219lbs and have lost 81 pounds so far. Ever sense growing up people said I looked stocky and big because I am wide and have big calves broad shoulders. People are always surprise when I told them how much I actually weighed. Now with the knowledge I have now I know this was simply an illusion and the fat pops the muscle out. I am definitely not underestimating how much fat I have because I know I have long long long ways to go (goal is 155-165lbs) and I am not overestimating the little muscle I do have. So is it possible for me to look somewhat shredded when I get in the single digits bf% with some decent muscle mass while cutting and lifting?

SN: and yes I know I have a big gut I am working hard everyday to lose it unfortunately my thighs and belly get the most distribution of fat but judging by my pictures tell me what you think I will need to cut down to. I refuse cut under 150 lol it is just to small.

223-http://imgur.com/q08TBF1,UWLUkJA
300 (In case you want to see my progress)- http://imgur.com/q08TBF1,UWLUkJA#1

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes...you will build muscle being fat because you have to have muscle to move yourself around.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Does being fat for years lead to muscle gain?
    Yes. At my heaviest I had ~220lbs of muscle--I suspect more than you at 219lbs. ;)

When you lose weight, you unfortunately lose fat and muscle. Another thing to consider is that walking around with a larger body mass clearly works out your legs more but doesn't cause much more work for your arms. An antitode to preserve as much muscle as you can and round out the remaining areas while on a deficit is to add total body strength training to your routine.

By the time our body fat is low enough, if we choose to take it that far and keep strength training, I strongly suspect we would look ripped. I mean, weaker people with low body fat look ripped!

And vast improvement, mate! In the first, you look obese, and would stand out in a group. In the second, you may be overweight, but no more so than is common in today's society.

I'd keep going, but that's some progress, be proud!
  • jakx39
    Options
    I lift regularly now but what do you guys think I will need to cut down to I need some more feedback
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Moving weight (even when it is body weight) provides a level of resistance that will lead to muscle gain up until adaptation maxes out. As you lose weight, you often lose some (if not all) of that muscle.

If you get down to single digit body fat, you’ll definitely show it. But you may have loose skin or stretch marks depending on how fast you lost your weight.

No, you should not decrease your lifting. In fact, you should continue to push it. It is too easy to lose muscle while you’re cutting fat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jakx39 wrote: »
    I lift regularly now but what do you guys think I will need to cut down to I need some more feedback

What's your tested bodyfat %?
  • jakx39
    Options
    idk maybe 30% but I have been lifting regularly now any programs you guys can recommend?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    jakx39 wrote: »

You'll find out when you get there. You look like you have a nice base under there, you have some excellent potential.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Moving weight (even when it is body weight) provides a level of resistance that will lead to muscle gain up until adaptation maxes out. As you lose weight, you often lose some (if not all) of that muscle.

If you get down to single digit body fat, you’ll definitely show it. But you may have loose skin or stretch marks depending on how fast you lost your weight.

No, you should not decrease your lifting. In fact, you should continue to push it. It is too easy to lose muscle while you’re cutting fat.

^This.

Congratulations on your progress!!
    Yn0q6UNeoNfdC.gif