I'm new and I need some

Options
44 Single Dad, that life had beaten down for the last 7 years, ( I'll spare you details and drama) well, 15 weeks ago I took charge and starting back in the gym and walking everyday. I was huffing and puffing after just a half a mile but each day I would go a little further, a little faster a little longer, today I am doing 8-10 miles 5-6 days a week. I have also added cycling into my daily for 5-10 miles ( just for fun).

I tried out here in Orlando for the Biggest Loser and didn't get picked, Sure I wanted to go on the show, I thought it would be cool, and I knew I would lose lots of weight, if Jillian didn't kill me or I killed her first for being a ______ .

Then I had an realization that I didn't need a show, I just needed a gym and personal motivation. I went to join our local Bally's and the guy trying to sell membership was total jerk, ( it was like buying a car, he had to check with his Manager about what he could do for me). I walked out laughing, I used to be in the Car Business, and he couldn't close me on a $30/ month membership, they guy was weak.

Anyways I just started using the gym in my Condo complex, treadmill and bikes, and some weight machines, it was more than enough and it was free ( which in this economy is good). I'm a fixture in there 6 days a week and I feel the weight melting off. I haven't weighed myself since March 8, the number isn't important, its just something we all obsess on. I recommend that you weigh yourself once a week is plenty, twice at most. Any more and you got OCD :)

I'm new to this site an like many others I need support, and I will give support, that what a team does.

Thanks

Smitty in the Sun

Replies

• babs81
    babs81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Support here :-)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    we are all here for you!! Add as many friends as you can!!
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, support is a 2 way street.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Hey Smitty -- I've loved it here. Support is important. Feel free to add me, and best of luck!
  • zumba_v
    zumba_v Posts: 4
    Options
    Keep up the good work! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • kg006
    kg006 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck on your journey!
  • sandramoore66
    Options
    LOL...it's so funny that you recommend weighing once or twice a week! You're so right. My husband and I are trying to lose weight and I think he has OCD because he weighs himself daily and I've followed his lead. It's interesting to see the pattern of losing weight but it can be quite frustrating if it starts going up and you've done eveything right. I'm going back to weighing once a week because you're right...it shouldn't be about the numbers but just getting healthier.

Good advice and good luck!

Sandra
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    You got it buddy!!! Best of luck on your journey!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Love your "action" profile photo! If that's your condo gym I'm jealous.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start, and this site is great for support! Best of luck to you, you are on your way!!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hey, good luck, man! It sounds like you're off to a solid start.
  • hairspray74
    hairspray74 Posts: 93
    Options
    you can do it! I tried to talk my mom, sister, and husband into doing biggest loser couples but they wouldn't! We don't need biggest loser cuz now we have MFP!!! I lost 35 lbs so far and still have atleast 25 to go! you or anyone can can add me! the more friends you got the more motivation, inspiration, and support you'll have!!!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey! you can add me also if you would like. i have met some of the most beautiful ppl on here and dont know if i could do this without their support!
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    hey there! first of all, you sound like a fun person! Congrats on the weight loss. I also tried ballys and the guy selling me the membership was a total jerk too. When i said i need to run it by my husband, he said "do you ask your husband permission all the time?" I walked out and never looked back. Little did her know, i was checking to see if my husband would be interested in ballys too. I workout at home and I joined a yoga studio. I love it and I'm happy I made that decision. good luck :)
  • drgregdc
    drgregdc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up above the clouds Smitty and you will go far. Remember nothing comes easy for those who are successful.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I am here to help and support you as well. I have an awesome workout plan if you are interested. I went from not running at all in Oct 2010 to running 5 miles non-stop in Jan 11. I work out 5-6 days per-week and am told by my younger co-workers that my workouts would kill them.