Ideal protein intake?

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm currently 210 trying to putting on more muscle mass, what do you all suggest for how much protein I should intake on workout/rest days?

Replies

• wjgray121182
    Options
    You should try a 40/40/20 approach.
    40% carbs
    40% protein
    20% fats

A little tricky in the beginning.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Common advice is around 1g per lb of LBM. Probably doesn't even need to be that high on a bulk. Somewhere in the 150-175g/day range is probably fine for you I'm guessing. The advice above is not worth paying attention to. 40% protein can be a lot of protein on bulking calories. Way more than necessary.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4 to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.2 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)

I usually do 1 - 1.2 g / pound of body weight.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Common advice is around 1g per lb of LBM. Probably doesn't even need to be that high on a bulk. Somewhere in the 150-175g/day range is probably fine for you I'm guessing. The advice above is not worth paying attention to. 40% protein can be a lot of protein on bulking calories. Way more than necessary.

Yes. When trying to gain weight, carbs are more important than protein. When losing weight, other way. Since you're getting to put on mass, you need more carbs.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    .8g per pound of body weight.

You don't get extra points for eating over on protein, just kidney stones and a hole in your wallet.

You gain muscle by eating over your maintenance calories in protein carbs and fats, and slamming the weights 3x week all body.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    40% carbs
    40% protein
    20% fats

Nope. If you are eating different calories everyday this doesn't work.

I eat 100 plus g of protein every day whether I'm
    a) resting 1800c
    b) cycling to work 2250c
    c)swim/run/weights 2500 plus

I personally think percentage splits are going out with the arc, UNLESS you eat the same calories everyday regardless, which in my mind is subpar irt performance. Why eat too much on a rest day and not enough on days when you need to fuel a killer workout. I just don't burn body fat fast enough for that to work.
  • Timbur_Wolf
    Timbur_Wolf Posts: 116 Member
    Options

You don't get extra points for eating over on protein, just kidney stones and a hole in your wallet.

You gain muscle by eating over your maintenance calories in protein carbs and fats, and slamming the weights 3x week all body.

I've been doing research and I've come across that .6-1.0 is about where you need to be to gain muscle mass but, then comes the program I've been doing...I've been following Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size and it says for my weight I need to be taking in about 359gs on workout days and 323 on rest days....Which seems like overkill but, I figured he's much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am lol.

How do I find my "maintenance calorie intake" (I'm new to the whole nutrition world so bare with me).

• Timbur_Wolf
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

How do I figure out my LBM? I only know my total weight but, not fat% or anything...last I checked was on one of those scales that reads your % but, I also heard that those were bs.

• Timbur_Wolf
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

Ah, that was very informative, thank you!

So in my situation it's safe to say I would benefit more if I take in over .8.

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Units matter. Notice there's a massive difference between 0.8 kg and 0.8 lbs :P
  • Timbur_Wolf
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    Units matter. Notice there's a massive difference between 0.8 kg and 0.8 lbs :P

Haha, yeah most definitely, I'll stick with lbs lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly heavier than you & I'm around 190g on the high side. You should be somewhere 175ish.
  • Timbur_Wolf
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I've been doing research and I've come across that .6-1.0 is about where you need to be to gain muscle mass but, then comes the program I've been doing...I've been following Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size and it says for my weight I need to be taking in about 359gs on workout days and 323 on rest days....Which seems like overkill but, I figured he's much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am lol.

How do I find my "maintenance calorie intake" (I'm new to the whole nutrition world so bare with me).

I have a real issue with Jim Stopani layout. Maybe I'm just not understanding his absurdly high protein recommendations or his caloric intake suggestions. I also don't ever think I've seen even 1 plan of those on the bb.com page that they push that I thought "wow, that's pretty good". Just a bunch of marketing ploys.

Honesty DopeItUp and Chief have given you good advice. 1g per lb of bodyweight is pretty common but like it's been stated already on a bulk protein requirements aren't at a higher level of importance compared to cutting or the lean trying to hit single digits. You were given a suggestion of 175g which would have you at .83g per lb of bodyweight which falls right in line with the .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight you'll frequently see and would be in the same ballpark as 1g per lb of lbm.

Out of curiosity, How tall are you that you're 210 and bulking? What's you bf%? As a f'ing manlet I'll never know how that feels.

Yeah, I was thinking that was ridiculously high too but, I figured he was credible. I'll just start going by what the people here suggested since it seems to be working for them...plus a lot of it is just marketing on bb.com (think he recommended like 6 protein shakes or something a day using his protien powder of course lol).

I'm a little over 6'2, I'm unsure of my BF% though. I've tried one of those scales that reads bf%, skeletal weight, muscle% etc, however I don't know how accurate those scales even are.
    Said my bf% was 15.6%
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    2.0-2.2g per 1kg of your mass, you don't need to consume more than that. Also, rest days are important too as you body is still recovering so I wouldn't decrease amount of protein consumption and would stay with 2.0g per 1kg. That doesn't need to be very precisely calculated, don't worry if you will consume 1.3 one day, 1.7 second day and 2.0 next day unless you are very serious about building muscles (professional body builder etc.) but try to keep close to 2.0
  • macydawn23
    macydawn23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    40% carbs
    40% protein
    20% fats

Nope. If you are eating different calories everyday this doesn't work.

I eat 100 plus g of protein every day whether I'm
    a) resting 1800c
    b) cycling to work 2250c
    c)swim/run/weights 2500 plus

I personally think percentage splits are going out with the arc, UNLESS you eat the same calories everyday regardless, which in my mind is subpar irt performance. Why eat too much on a rest day and not enough on days when you need to fuel a killer workout. I just don't burn body fat fast enough for that to work.

^^^ Exactly. Completely agree.