Hello from a Diabetic in need of help

Options
Hello all,

My name is Russ and I am a diabetic. I am a type 2 (insulin resistance) moving to type 1 (no insulin production). The combination of the two types is forcing me to make some radical changes in my life style. I have always been a heavy guy, 320lbs at my heaviest. I worked my way down to 240 until I started taking insulin shots. Now I am back up to 285 and don't want to go any higher.

I just found the love of my life and want to spend a long life with her. I am the type of person that has the best of intentions but my follow through frankly sucks. I am hoping that using myfitnesspal and having it on my Droid will assist my follow though and keep me honest.

I know that I am not alone in this and my girlfriend is there to help and motivate me but the lonely feelings still show their ugly head.

I feels good to get these feeling out.

Thanks for listening,
Russ

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

Welcome to the site, I recommend reading the above link I sent you! I too have blood sugar problems, can be controlled with diet. Good Luck
  • hairspray74
    hairspray74 Posts: 93
    Options
    I understand completely! I have a 14 year old daughter who has type one diabetes and has had it since she was 7! and just to rest your mind you are type 2 and will remain type 2 even if you go on insulin, whereas she is and always will be type 1 and no amount of exercise or diet will get her off insulin! I lost 35 lbs so far and still have atleast 25 to go! you or anyone can can add me! the more friends you got the more motivation, inspiration, and support you'll have!!!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I know this is a "hot button" topic on here but.....I was pre-diabetic (well damn close I was starting on oral meds) and I had an RNY gastrc bypass surgery. I know that this surgery is NOT for everyone, and I RARELY bring up the topic, much less suggest to anyone, but there is one advantage for diabetics, so I thought I would be brave and tell you about this. (just for info, not for suggesting this surgery) .When you have an RNY (roux-n-y) or a duodenal switch (DS) it;s someting to do with bypassing of the intestine that elimates diabetes. It's a proven fact that in 99% percent of the cases it vastly improves or goes away completely. No kidding. It is NOT an easy lifestyle, but eventually you do eat normal portions (just slighlty smaller) an it is easier to lose weight and keep it off. I am NOT suggesting to anyone to do this. as it's a VERY personal decision. But I just wanted you arm you with the info. A good website to do some research is www.obesitythelp.com. There are a lot of different people on there and lots of info for researching. One other note, the lap-band or the "sleeve" does not do this because they do not bypass any intestine. In Europe, you can get this surgery and they've been do it for years, just for diabetes alone. Good luck to you!!!
    PS- They could not get my resting blood sugar below 150, I was starting oral meds. I walked out of the hospital with my blood sugar at 105. It;s been that way, or lower, ever since.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

Welcome to the site, I recommend reading the above link I sent you! I too have blood sugar problems, can be controlled with diet. Good Luck

Great post! Seriously, please read that. It is one of the easiest to understand explanation of what macros do in your body.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Welcome to this site, it will help you alot. You have taken the first step to improving your health. Type 2 diabetes is reversible if you get at it before your pancreas is permanently damaged. Type 1 is a failed pancreas and no amount of anything but an islet cell transplant will reverse it. I have patients who have changed their lifestyle and lost weight who have been able to get off all their meds and have normal blood sugar levels. In addition to the joy of no meds you reverse your risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications such as vision loss, erectile dysfunction, memory loss, kidney failure, limp amputation, heart attack and stroke, to name a few. Good luck and feel free to friend me if you like:) Remember that no one gained their weight in a day and it won't come off in a day either. It takes time and lifestyle changes to make the permanent changes.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My name is Russ and I am a diabetic. I am a type 2 (insulin resistance) moving to type 1 (no insulin production). The combination of the two types is forcing me to make some radical changes in my life style. I have always been a heavy guy, 320lbs at my heaviest. I worked my way down to 240 until I started taking insulin shots. Now I am back up to 285 and don't want to go any higher.

I just found the love of my life and want to spend a long life with her. I am the type of person that has the best of intentions but my follow through frankly sucks. I am hoping that using myfitnesspal and having it on my Droid will assist my follow though and keep me honest.

I know that I am not alone in this and my girlfriend is there to help and motivate me but the lonely feelings still show their ugly head.

I feels good to get these feeling out.

Thanks for listening,
    Russ

Check this out, Miss Kim is right on.

I recently helped my best friend get the info from MDA and from the best scientific studies that I could find led me there.

He had been diagnosed with Type II in August 2003, worked hard to correct his lifestyle (2004-7) including going into remission, lost a little weight and then went through some rough road. He gained back all of his old weight plus some (2008-2010), was placed on insulin after having had a stroke related to his carbohydrate intake (Dec. 2010) and a sedentary life. He almost lost both feet (Jan. 2011). Since adopting the best nutritional plan for diabetes that we could find, he has reversed much of the stroke and brain damage, saved his feet, dropped 12 lbs per month for 4 months running, no longer needs insulin, is off his diabetic meds because he no longer needs them. He was on Metformin and other medications. His previous average BG was 180 or higher, now it is 91. Every single blood sugar he has taken while eating this new protocol to heal his diabetes has been that of a non diabetic. Every single one. I know this because he moved in to live with those of us who were already living this lifestyle and we've all been astounded at the results as none of us were diabetic and arrived at our choices in nutrition for other reasons.

He reports preferring the way he feels now and that his mood has changed from despair/depressed to hopeful and even. He has decided to go back to college at 54, to continue dreams he gave up earlier in life and to return to his music and writing. The difference between following what the ADA recommends for diabetics and the latest in scientific research was life and death for my friend. Please feel free to add me as friend and if you send an email, phone or other contact info, he would be happy to talk about what you are going through. I've buried my grandparents, my husband and my father due to complications of diabetes. I'd be happy to share anything with you or your family and friends that might help.