ezekiel bread vs sara lee 45 cal oatmeal bread

Options
Was wondering if anyone knows which bread is better for weight loss. I have been eating 45 calorie sara lee oatmeal bread for my sandwiches but have recently heard that the ezekial bread is better for weight loss because you process it faster where it doesnt turn to sugar in your body. Now with that being said when I eat two slices of the sara lee I only spend 90 calories but when i eat the 2 slices of ezekial bread it is 160 calories. Now I don't mind eating 160 calories in bread if it is worth it and will help me lose weight. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter. I just switched to bread that is 110 calories a slice (Brownberry Oatnut), but I'm able to fit it in.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps with weight loss is a calorie deficit. So either will help with weight loss as long as it fits in your daily goal. I think (opinion only) that the Ezekiel bread is a healthier option - it is a high protein bread. I like them both.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. The "process" thing is broscience. It's all about calories.

I'd go with the Sara Lee myself.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i think those two breads are entirely different not because of calories but how they are made. i believe ezekial is a speciality type of bread that is made from naturally sprouting grains something to this effect and free of certain chemicals and enhancers that other breads have.

i believe sara lee breads are made just like the "other mainstream breads"

for me its finding the right balance between low calorie, nutrient content and taste. I'm a fan of brown berry as well. or turano.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    as far as losing weight just eat at a deficit

as far as overall health ezekial is probably a "healthier" bread.
  • mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP, its all about calories. Its taken me years of fad diets to come to this conclusion. No amount of EZ bread will help me if I'm overeating, even the healthier stuff.
    As it is, I was not a fan of the EZ bread. It was too dense, too expensive, and I had to keep it in the freezer to extend its life. I bet the Sara Lee bread is less expensive, too.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think the ezekial bread IS that much healthier. It's something they make, make us believe it's better or it's processing differently, but reality it's just expensive bread.

It's like pills and cleanses, and all the other crap the diet industry tries to make people buy. CICO. It's science.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you feel fuller with Ezekiel bread, and therefore don't overeat at your next meal, it might be worth it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is way too expensive for me, though it is probably better nutritionally. It is tasty and hearty...but so not worth $6+ a loaf which is what I have to pay for it at the health food store (only place to get it here). It may "stay with you longer" and keep you feeling more full longer.

To me it's not worthwhile for the cost in calories and dollars.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like the Ezekiel low sodium bread... it's also 80 calories for a *thin* slice, but is denser than regular white bread so it's more filling when I want my carbs in the morning. And because it is made from sprouted grains it's in the freezer section. It is expensive- $5.89 for a loaf- but I eat it as a treat when I want bread. I was buying Nickels Lite bread at 35 cals a slice, but it would fall apart for sandwiches because it was mostly air I think.

As to weight loss- a calorie is a calorie for the most part and as others have said, just eat within your daily calorie allowance.
  • byvanzant
    byvanzant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses. I can tell you I prefer the flavor of the oatmeal bread more and it has been filling me up so I think I am going to just stay with that unless I can't find it and then I will use the Ezekial as my second option.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter. I just switched to bread that is 110 calories a slice (Brownberry Oatnut), but I'm able to fit it in.

^Yep
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The bread I buy is about 100 calories per slice. I don't eat much of it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For me the bread has to be sturdy enough to hold up the toppings. If calories are an issue I eat it open faced. I prefer to get my proteins from the toppings.
  • SunnyLu3
    SunnyLu3 Posts: 41
    Options
    The only thing I will say is that the Ezekiel bread is much more filling. Is it worth the higher caloric (and monetary) price? Eh, it's up to you. I like the Genesis something or another kind with seeds, but decided it's not really worth either price.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this one is an option in your region, but I eat Healthy Life brand. A nice mix of low calorie/low carb- 35cals a slice, and no crappy ingredients. Also, it's pretty mainstream in pricing. Comes in white, whole wheat (mine), potato, and omega3 enhanced.