Protein powder (ladies especially)

Options
hello, I've been thinking of adding protein powder to my daily diet, since I've been adding more weight training, and I also haven't been getting enough protein in my diet. I purchased a blender bottle online, and now I'm wondering what next? What is the best protein powder that I should invest in. Also, how do you prefer to mix your powder (recipe?) .. And I'm interested in knowing if any of the ladies on here take protein powder, and how it has effected your body since you've added it to your diet. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like Cytosport 100% Whey, and I also like Combat Cookies n' Cream. They are both about 140 calories a serving and provide about 25 grams of protein. I would have to double check them both to be exact... Sometimes I just use half a scoop.

I rarely drink them alone. I usually mix them with fruit in a blender. (Combat Powder + banana + 1/2 cup almond milk + ice) or (1 cup blackberries + ice + 1/2 cup almond milk + Cytosport vanilla)

If I am just drinking it straight I like to get Premier Protein strawberry. You get a whole case of 18 for about $25 at Costco. These taste good on their own without having to blend it with fruit.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Water + trutein.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also looking for a powder that's not high in calories per serving (if there is one)
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    ek0513 wrote: »
    Also looking for a powder that's not high in calories per serving (if there is one)

Allmax Isonatural is 118 calories & 27grams of protein for a 30gram serving.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Similar to ibamosaserreinas‌, I use cytosport brand but like the muscle milk. I add it to coffee, or fruit and nut milk in a blender.

I just ordered Quest. But does not seem to have the amino acid profile for muscle building (I think, not sure yet).
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I recently started drinking a protein shake (combat cookies n cream - yeah for costco deals!). I also recently started strength training. I looked at my protein intake for previous months and it was low (average of 50).

The only difference I notice is I am less achy. Or I don't feel as achy for as long. I can't really tell you if that is because of the extra protein though.
  • Fay_410
    Fay_410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started using slender blend! Loving it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink some chocolate biowhey in water because it's what my gym has. 110 calories. I don't know, I just smash it when I need it. I don't think too hard about it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I can't drink that stuff in water, and making it taste good involves too many calories (milk, 1/2 banana, berries), so I just have a piece of ham, usually.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No a lady but have been known to dress like one :wink:

Try mix it in with cereals or porridge along with frozen fruit that works for me.

as for low calorie versions any of the "Isolates" will be the lowest I like "Myprotein" as they are cheap and offer many flavours, also mixes pretty well too, although avoid the choc flavour.
  • Jmak82
    Options
    I like body fortress. 150 cal per serving and 30 g of protein. It does have creatine monohydrate and bcaa and I find it helps me stay full longer. Especially between meals. I even have it for breakfast I see better results when I use the product and exercise consistently. Oh and it's only about $16 for 2 lbs
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm sensitive to aspartame and splenda, so that knocks off a lot of the cheaper kinds of protein powder. If you're sensitive in any way or just prefer to avoid certain artificial sugars, make sure to read the labels.

I'm currently using Bodylogix Natural Whey Dark Chocolate Protein Nutrition Shake which I bought from Amazon in a 1.85lb container when it was on sale for $22.99 (it's $37.44 now with no sale...the vanilla bean flavor is $26.99 right now). It's 120 calories for 24g of protein, which isn't the best in the world but it's enough for me. 26 servings per container, and I use it every other day. It's sourced from grass fed cows, free of bovine growth hormone and antibiotics, and sweetened with stevia instead of aspartame or splenda. The chocolate flavoring includes real fair-trade organic cocoa instead of artificial flavoring in many powders.

The powder pretty much tastes and smells like brownies. Chocolate wasn't my first choice, but it was the one on sale at the time and tastes pretty good. I'm sure bigger chocolate lovers would really love it. The container is also more ecofriendly than many typical containers.

Whatever powder you choose, remember there's more than you can do with it than just shakes. You can make protein pancakes, muffins, brownies, etc and add some nutritional benefits to foods you crave that usually have none.
  • cherlyno2015
    Options
    ek0513 wrote: »
    1 gram of protein always equals 4 calories so to add protein you'll have to add the calories! Luckily, the protein powders are generally pretty good at keeping the content as protein calories and not other sources (a serving that is 93g of protein will be 372 cals of protein)
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition whey isolate in milk. It's pretty good. I have huge problems hitting my protein macros with actual food so it really helps my energy level and recovery time.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Raw Meal from Garden of Life? Good source of protein and fairly moderate in calories. I use 1 cup of almond milk to mix (because water makes it impossible to drink). Good for you protein mixes are not always the best tasting, unfortunately :(
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet stuff so I use an unflavoured whey protein isolate, 30g has 29.5g of protein and about 120 calories. I make it up 125ml of water with 4g of sugar (16 calories) and a splash of natural vanilla essence. Stops me feeling hungry after a weights session.
  • ememinem32156
    Options
    Muscle pharm combat peanut butter chocolate
  • Earthtokarmen
    Earthtokarmen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like the Lean Body For Her protein powders. They are the first ones that I have tried that don't taste horrible to me. If I have to choke it down, I won't drink it.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Lean the BURN version taste not so great but is 30grams and 160/170 calories and less carbs if you're watching that. The regular Lean is 200 and 25 grams. I mix mine with H2O!

But HOLD THE PHONE !!!! =-) I just was informed today that the ready made shakes are cheaper (yep, you get 8 servings more for the equivalent of buying to bottles!) and it has LESS CALORIES and is a larger serving (WTF) yep not sure but when you make at home in water it's 25gms protein/200 calories/11 net carbs for 8 oz but the ready made is (DRUMROLL) 25gms protein/170 calories/3 net carbs/ 14oz. So it sometimes pays for convenience.

I have been eating clean 70-75% of the time and eating my goal weight in grams of protein since January and lost 24 pounds! I'm only 5 foot 1(and some change!)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I like the body logix brand chocolate. It actually tastes good mixed in water. I prefer it mixed in milk though. Its 122cals per scoop....24g protein.