Help with plateau and potential water retention

Options
So on February 28th I did a weigh in and found I had a 3.4 pound loss brining my weight to 199 which was surprising for me and a re-weighed myself to make sure. A few days later my weight had jumped to 204 even while maintaining a deficit of calories. Mar 7th I weighed myself and was at 199.4 so I figured it was getting back to normal but again im back at 203. I measure all my activity with a garmin and a heart rate monitor have been exercising 1-1.5 hrs most days. Someone had suggested i may be retaining water. I'm fairly new to this so I dont know much about this but so any help would be appreciated as it is getting very frustrating working so hard each day and seeing no results.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations. If you're having a lot of processed foods or too much sodium, then yes, you can retain.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake, new exercise routines, stress, lack of sleep, and lack of water intake will all cause water retention. You would've had to eat close to 14,000 calories over maintenance to gain four pounds of actual weight.

Just be glad you aren't female and have to see that every month (and for some, twice a month!)
  • michaelputz
    michaelputz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ive open up my dairy to public I feel im getting enough exercise and am eating a calorie deficit to loose 1-2 pounds per week. I do eat alot of processed foods.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ive open up my dairy to public I feel im getting enough exercise and am eating a calorie deficit to loose 1-2 pounds per week. I do eat alot of processed foods.

That would do it...almost 12,000 mgs in three days! If you can, start cooking more to reduce it. It won't stall your loss, but it will mask it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Less processed foods will help.
  • mirandalynn83
    Options
    I've hit a plateau recently and have been retaining water... I've actually increased my water intake (plus watching my salt/sodium intake) and have noticed that the more water I drink, the more I flush out. It has helped the scale to move down again! It sounds silly to think drinking more water can help alleviate water retention, but it does! Good luck!!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Water retention is my mortal enemy, man. It KILLS me every week. I really only see a "real" weight about once/week. If you're lifting or doing any strenuous exercise this is going to affect you. Usually, I decide to weigh based on how my muscles feel. If I'm still sore I know my muscles are still recovering (which makes you hang onto water) and my weight will be up... so skip the scale that day. It is SUPER frustrating but a real part of life, unfortunately.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No more sodium, that's A LOT.
  • michaelputz
    michaelputz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.