protein count too high

Options
if I take in too much protein is that bad?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. How many grams are you having daily?
    My protein is set at 122g
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    How much are you talking about?
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    Your body can only absorb so much protein at one time. Other than that it would just go to waste.
  • jtabiolo
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    Your body can only absorb so much protein at one time. Other than that it would just go to waste.

Waste how, you would move a bowel with undigested food? How much protein can we absorb in an hour? What is the bioavailability of a 6oz steak and a 6oz chicken breast?

What I meant is it will just burned as extra energy

• jtabiolo
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jtabiolo wrote: »

Waste how, you would move a bowel with undigested food? How much protein can we absorb in an hour? What is the bioavailability of a 6oz steak and a 6oz chicken breast?

Increasing the amount of protein in one meal doesn't create a bigger boost in muscle synthesis. On average, people who eat 90 grams of protein at a meal would exactly have the same benefit as people who ate 30 grams.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What's your definition of "too high"? Supposedly the upper tolerable limit of protein is your weight in kilograms x 2.5. Your weight in kilograms (if you don't know) is pounds divided by 2.2. So, if you weigh 150lbs, you "shouldn't" have more than 170g of protein per day.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/safe-upper-intake-level-protein-8638.html
    When it comes down to it, more protein is better than only a small amount.
    I generally have my minimum protein intake based on my lean body mass x 0.7, which is usually around 70g-80g, though my actual goal usually ranges from 70g-100g, based on how I feel like doing my macros.