So...are eggs good or bad today?

Options

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    when i eat eggs , which is often , i eat the the whole egg. For one thing all the vitamins and nutrients are in the yolk, sure the white is protien which is good, but most of the good stuff is in the yolk ( what do you think feeds the baby chicken)
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I eat roughly 3 eggs / day. They rock.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

read this it will tell you (just about) all you need to know about the big C
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Good!!! Use mostly egg whites though lower fat content! However I like to mix a couple yolk with my egg whites!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine. Maybe if you ate a dozen eggs everyday, that might not be so good. But 2-3 eggs a few days a week is not going to hurt you. And if you're worried, ask your doctor.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Eggs are soooo good.

I have 4 different recipies for scrammbled eggs, I cannot rate them highly enough, yum!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Eggs are never bad.
  • ZombiePaulaDeen
    ZombiePaulaDeen Posts: 5 Member
    Options

This is a great link that everyone should read. If you like eggs eat eggs and skip the toast!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

This is a great link that everyone should read. If you like eggs eat eggs and skip the toast!

what they said :)
  • debdene
    debdene Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have eggs almost everyday, but i have 25 pet chickens :) cant bet fresh eggs
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I've been treating patients for 20 years. I tell patients that it's the refined carbohydrates (sugar, corn syrup and flour) that contribute more. The evidence is in the Atkin's diet (which I rarely put people on). But the truth is I could have a patient come in with a cholesterol of 300 and (with eating only high fat, high cholesterol, high protein foods) the cholesterol would drop to 200 in a matter of weeks. That says it's about carbohydrates and not cholesterol which makes sense in our society. Sugar and white flour products are definitely the more over-consumed foods in our diet.

lol, what? you mean to tell me that the high carb diet the govt wants us to be on is what is making everyone fat??? no way!? sorry, couldn't help myself.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great, I really don't get the whole "only eating the egg white" thing. To be honest I think it is a US phenomenon... I never see or hear anyone in Australia only eating egg whites.
    Surely you can't be saving that many calories, a whole egg is only 70 cals!
  • ladyviola
    ladyviola Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost every day. Had some for dinner last night. Yolks are the best part. Check out this video>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66J-GLa7sC8

This guy is a nutritionist with good old fashioned common sense.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    That's not true. Saturated fat is the one that turns into cholesterol inside the body. Cholesterol eaten from foods is not the bad cholesterol that people think.
    I have eggs and bacons every other day for breakfast and it's great. 1 slice of bacon has 1g sat fat while 1 egg has less than 2g of sat fat. If you're watching cholesterol, you have to watch for meats with skin, or non-lean meats. Also the whole fat dairy products.
    In, fact, I just had 2 slices of bacon and 2 eggs. The total sat fat was 5g, that's just as much as a glass of whole milk.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    If your cholesterol isn't high, go for it. Mix it up with egg white and egg together, that's probably the healthier choice.

All this #$%$ about whether it's good for you or not comes down to there's a heck of a lot of factors that contribute to cholesterol issues and it's really unlikely that it's going to be a major factor unless you're already in trouble.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    eggs yum! If you want to cut some calories go with a whole egg and then some whites. These also come in those cool little containers but are just whites not all that other crap that is in egg beaters....have you seen that ingredient list....it's ugly!

Egg beaters contains:
    Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

An egg just contains....well just an egg.
    Eggs are great, I really don't get the whole "only eating the egg white" thing. To be honest I think it is a US phenomenon... I never see or hear anyone in Australia only eating egg whites.
    Surely you can't be saving that many calories, a whole egg is only 70 cals!

When I hard boil an egg I only eat the whites but thats just because I really don't like the way the big chunk of egg yolk tastes....all scrambled up it is quite tasty though.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have eggs almost everyday, but i have 25 pet chickens :) cant bet fresh eggs

jealous i miss having chickens. and ducks their eggs are primo for baking, not that i make much anymore
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Go for it. The majority of Cholesterol we synthesize in our liver and it doesn't come from dietary intake. So if your numbers are good a few eggs should be ok.

are you a doctor or something along those lines?

if so, thank you for being one of the few who understand nutrition and don't label eggs as the devil's food.