Book recommendation please!

nicolanicola
nicolanicola Posts: 23
edited September 27 in Recipes
Hiya, can anyone recommend a good recipe book that has few ingredients (ie don't have to spends 1 hour in the supermarket trying to find all the ingredients), quick to make and show the calories per serving?

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    I recommend allrecipe.com

Simply because I don't think there are recipe books that are few ingredients. All recipe will let you scan the recipes and find a simple one for you.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    the biggest loser ones are pretty good. :)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    On the suggestion of a friend, I got Better Homes & Gardens Eat Well Lose Weight a couple of months ago. So far, everything I've made from it has been simple and delicious. It also has calorie/nutrition info for each recipe.

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Lose-Weight-comb-Great-Tasting/dp/0470540311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305299392&sr=8-1

I also use allrecipes.com and other online sources fairly often.
  • cc91kilo
    cc91kilo Posts: 1
    Hungry Girl 300 under 300
  • Go to the foodnetwork.com and look up the 5 Ingrediant Fix- it's this girl's show that has all these recipes with just 5 ingrediants and they're listed on the website
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    300 under 300 - the HungryGirl book doesn't have too many ingredients and has a great index that you can look recipes up by ingredient to use up what you have.

I also use Weight Watcher's Complete and Cooking Light pretty often. Both use pretty common ingredients - especially the Weight Watcher's one.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    I love my Mark Bittman How to Cook Everything books and phone apps (the apps are like 4.00) most of the time he provides substitutions for the stranger ingredients. I also like his book Food Matters- it has several recipes with real regular food in them.

Other than that I don't really use cook books- just the internet and my magazines occassionally. I don't like "diet cook books" because they often call for artificial sweeteners or cool whip or other things that I try to avoid on the premise of them not being "food."
  • On the suggestion of a friend, I got Better Homes & Gardens Eat Well Lose Weight a couple of months ago. So far, everything I've made from it has been simple and delicious. It also has calorie/nutrition info for each recipe.

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Lose-Weight-comb-Great-Tasting/dp/0470540311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305299392&sr=8-1

I also use allrecipes.com and other online sources fairly often.

Thanks. It has good reviews this one. What about the number of ingredients?
  • Thanks for the website links, but I find them so hard to use. I've looked at maybe 20 recipe websites today and I am just bamboozled by the amount of infomraiton on them, so I think I am better with a book.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Careful! I'm completely addicted to cookbooks - I read them like books :)

I also like the Better Homes and Gardens book. It has "real" ingredients that are easy to find. The recipes are easy and take about the same time to make as traditional meals so 30-45 minutes maybe. Some less. The HG stuff is always really quick to make, but does use some odd ingredients sometimes (although I live in a midsize town and have never had issues finding them) and some that aren't whole foods. So, depending on which is more important to you - time or "clean" ingredients --- HG for quickness, BH&G for clean eating.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Thanks. It has good reviews this one. What about the number of ingredients?

Th number of ingredients is fairly average, but it's all pretty standard stuff. Nothing uncommon that you would have a hard time finding in the grocery store. I think if you pull the book up on Amazon.com, you can click on the photo of the book and use their "look inside" feature to get a glimpse at some of the recipes in it. Search for an ingredient you like and try out one or two recipes before you buy it...that's what I did.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Now Eat This! by Rocco Dispirito. All recipes are under 350 caloires and most recipes have limited number of ingredients. All the recipes I've tried I love.

Also, check out SkinnyTaste.com- she has TONS of recipes and on average the number ingredients are managable. I also love everything she posts... very yummy!

I also like my Better Homes & Garden cook book. It has tons of simple recipes and some not so simple. I've also learned how to make them light in calories by substituting some the ingredients.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Eatingwell.com! They also have an awesome book that's 500 calorie meals. It's all clean healthy food. They show you and entree and then give you options of sides to pair it with all for 500 cals!
  • jbdowns
    jbdowns Posts: 6
    allrecipes.com!! Great site. You can search under heathy cooking, & by ingredient. Also allows you to print in recipe card size format & it will include nutrition information if prompted.
This discussion has been closed.