Need new ideas for an upset stomach...crackers and 7Up?

Options
Had a bad stomach virus today. I ate the "traditional" soda crackers and 7Up. It really only helped a little.
Any ideas for a healthier alternative?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Ginger!

I have powdered ginger, like regular ground spice, that I stir into whatever I'm drinking (soda, tea, crystal light, etc) and it works like a charm. I do about half a tsp. per cup.

Feel better soon!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    +1 on ginger.

And, it isn't 7-up and soda crackers, it's ginger ale and soda crackers (like Saltines) - the ginger and bubbles are the ticket! 7-up has a lot of citric acid in it, no bueno for the tum-tum.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Ginger or mint!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Ginger always helps!
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    No wonder it didn't help! My mom always gave me 7UP growing up!!

Thanks for the ideas for ginger....I will try it!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try one of two things, Ginger Tea (Boil Ginger strain and drink)
    Or Peppermint Tea ...... this works almost instantly!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Also, plain bio yoghurt is excellent for stomachs. I find Greek is best. Add a little honey for taste, and extra tummy-goodness. Hope you feel better soon.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon. I was told once by a pediatrician to sip the juice from a can of peaches...it neutralizes the acid in your stomach and really works! Best part is...if you DO throw up, it doesn't burn. I know, TMI but it's true. It'll work though. Give it a shot.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My great grandmother told me Pears (like canned pears but the fresh fruit might work too) and crackers. That's what got me through the morning sickness with my kids and I still eat it if I feel bad even now that my kids are almost grown.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do powder ginger as well
  • ericapledger
    ericapledger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Peppermint oil ( you can get at health stores) put a drop in water and drink it. Also ginger tea..Boil an inch of ginger for about 30 mins, you can add lemon and honey if you want.
  • Mtarbarnes
    Mtarbarnes Posts: 8
    Options
    Hands down multigrain or reg Cheerios helps settle even the worst of upset stomachs.
    We made it thru the flu with it faster than any of the neighbors or other family.
    We keep small snack size bags to eat them like popcorn or cookies.
    Its nutritious and low calorie and helps so much!
    I hope you feel better ASAP!
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone for your suggestions! I am ready for the next time this happens!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Lemon and ginger tea. Or just have water and give it time and it will go away!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    No wonder it didn't help! My mom always gave me 7UP growing up!!

Thanks for the ideas for ginger....I will try it!

Yeah, since they changed it to all natural, all the stomach soothing-ness has gone out the window!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick the only thing I want to drink is gatorade. I like the lower cal kind (G2). I don't drink it except when I'm sick! :D