Portable, light meals on the go

Options
I suspect this question has probably been raised, but I cant seem to put the right combination of words together to appease the magnifying glass.

Im a college student, on campus from about 8am-7pm each day with no access to storage or a fridge and very rare access to a microwave. I eat at least 2 meals during those hours, but I'm so sick of carrying around Tupperware and utensils and everything else that I've gone days without eating just enjoying not having to the deal with the extra luggage.

Generally this leads to me not going to the gym and binging in the evening.

What I'm looking for is the smallest (in size), bulkiest (in fullness factor) foods available that I can eat cold/room temp, with minimal mess and smell and aren't an extra 5 pounds of weight.

I eat a vegetarian diet most days, but will eat chicken if I'm in the mood or its the best choice available. I usually have 1-2 protein shakes in the morning (either with oatmeal or straight) and then at night, it varies. I keep my sugar low, and most of my carbs come from oatmeal, quinoa and veggies. And, of course, I'm on a budget.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is starting to take a toll on my energy levels and I need to figure this out.

Replies

• steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Im a flight attendant, so im pretty much the queen of portable eating. however, i carry a lunch box with cooler packs, and do have access to microwaves or ovens. but here are my tips! maybe a few of them will resonate some inspiration. also i know its probably tough carrying around a bunch of extra stuff.. but you might want to just think about it as getting your weight lifting in for the day? or you could get a small rolling suitcase and not worry about it. i know you probably want to look "cool" and a rolling suitcase isnt cool.. but think about how cool you will look when you reach your goal weight!!!!
    things that dont need to be heated: Hard boiled eggs, egg salad sandwich, apples or bananas with a justin's peanut butter packet, chicken salad sandwich, turkey sandwich, almonds, dried apricots, oatmeal packets(access to hot water and a cup?), lara bars(not sure if you are familiar, but check them out next time youre at the grocery store), cucumbers with lime and salt, cherry tomatos, baby carrots, laughing cow cheese and cucumber sandwich, cold homeade pizza, pasta salad, greek orzo salad, smoked salmon with capers and cream cheese and crackers, berries with yogurt, spaghetti(i know it sounds weird to eat cold.. but its actually pretty good. kind of like cold pizza), cereal with asceptic milk, can of tuna mixed with rice, mayo, spinach, salt and pepper(trust me, its good), celery with peanut butter and raisins, roated garbanzo beans, garbanzo bean salad, grain salad, mozzerella balls with cherry tomatos basil and balsamic, cottage cheese and peaches

if you can make it to a microwave: trader joes has so many great foods that are low enough in calories to maintain a low calorie diet. They have tamales, burritos, tikka masala, little pizzas.. etc. its so easy. Also if you really wont have time to make it to a microwave.. you could always heat something up, like a tamale or burrito, in the morning and wrap it in tin foil, and then eat it room temperature a few hours later.

i know it seems kinda gross to eat a lot of frozen food, but if youre on a budget and dont want to spend a lot of time on meal prepping, trader joes is a good way to go. they at least dont use preservatives, gmos, artificial colors, msg etc. they actually have a very strict list of ingredients they dont allow their manufacturers to use.. its better than lean cuisine or other pre packaged foods.

i hope this helped you find some sort of inspiration. dont give up! bringing your own food is healthier than not eating or eating the crap in the cafeteria.
  • sdevp2002
    Options
    Rolling backback =) I know, you would think by my age the coolness issue would have gone out the window, but that's the one thing I cannot bring myself to do!

But I appreciate your ideas, I think one thing that struck me is that a lot of what you mentioned is more snack/small meal, as opposed to a large meal, which may be the way to go. If I can store things in disposable containers, then at least I will be able to throw things away as the days moves on. Or even better, eat things that have little to no packaging.

I like the idea of heating and wrapping up something in the am, and then eating it at room temp later.

My back and my growling 4pm stomach thank you =)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a college student. On my busier days, I'm unable to eat lunch until 2:30-ish and dinner until 6-7PM (and I commute and get up to my university at 7AM), so I tend to carry a ton of snacks with me. A lot of times, I will grab a snack from my backpack and eat it during the 15 minutes I have to walk to my class. Most of my snacks are typically eaten at room temperature and are stored in things that I can quickly throw out (so that I do not need to drag tupperware and ice packs back home).

My typical snacks include:
    pre-portioned almonds/walnuts/etc.
    Apple slices/grapes/other fruits that don't require me to sit down and eat them
    Mini babybell cheese (they can be at room temperature for up to 24 hours)
    Granola/protein bars
    Small popcorn bags
    peanut butter sandwiches
    pre-portioned cereal
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out St. Dalfour's "Gourmet to Go" ... they taste great, are easy to carry (and dispose of later), are healthy, and will count as a full meal. ;-) Can't beat 'em! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=St.+Dalfour&node=16310101