When does the weight loss start?!

Options
Been logging literally everything I put in my body and exercising like a maniac and I have gone up in weight. What gives? could it be that I am not burning as many calories Jawbone and MFB say I am? About to turn 43, thought I was fit until I got my body fat tested 27%, Yikes! Goal is to be 185 by summer, so I think it is realistic. My diary is an open book so to speak.

Replies

• LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but I would bet that you are retaining water.
  • GuyNewcomb
    Options
    Hmm...I thought I made everything public. Could be. I try very hard to stay hydrated. I drink about three liter of water from the time I start my day through the end of my workout, then about another liter and a half though the rest of my day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than you think.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it?
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 now-been at this increased exercise and around 1400 calories daily for over two weeks. My losses are tiny (less than 2 pounds). But, I'm making changes and feeling so much better overall. I'm gonna say just be patient and keep on going. At some point, that furnace will crank up and you and I will see a big loss.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by: exercise like a maniac? Any new exercise can make you retain water while your body adjusts. Just be careful about eat back all of your exercise calories (you're right, they can be inflated) so consider eating back a portion of them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    stuff like this doesn't help :Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 0 cup, chopped or diced 0 . Weigh and measure everything and be patient.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You only started logging last Thursday, March 5. That's five days ago. Be patient.

Also, why are you eating so little? You have a lot of days where you are eating in the 1400 calorie range. Even if your exercise calories are coming in over actual (possible even with your tech gear) you are eating quite a bit below goal. Why?
  • GuyNewcomb
    Options
    Lifting, I haven't found a way to erase a mistake either on the workout side or the food side. So I mark the serving size as Zero. Anyone know how to edit? Please let me know
  • GuyNewcomb
    Options
    Cortney, by like. Maniac I mean that I am doing an hour of cardio and lifting four times a week
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    GuyNewcomb wrote: »
    Lifting, I haven't found a way to erase a mistake either on the workout side or the food side. So I mark the serving size as Zero. Anyone know how to edit? Please let me know

Assuming you're at a PC, hit the red minus sign to the right of the entry (for foods).

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There will be a red circle next to the entry on the website, or on the app you just swipe it to get a delete button.

If you just started less than a week ago, it's probably water retention from new exercise. Give it another week or two and if it doesn't start going down, look at your diary to see where you could be going wrong (i.e. too much calorie burns, underestimating food, not logging everything).
  • RinseRepeat
    RinseRepeat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You're almost 43 years old. How long did it take you to gain the weight and excess body fat? You have to set up realistic expectations for your weight loss and fitness journey. It didn't get bad overnight and it isn't going to be fixed overnight.

I was approximately 60+ lbs overweight this past Christmas and I have since lost 25 lbs by tracking my caloric intake and I just started lifting free weights a few weeks ago. Prior to this I lived a pretty sedentary life. It just takes time. Keep working at it and you'll see the changes. Over time. :smile:
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know when I started a new workout regime, I gained 1-2 lbs the first few days. It went down after my body got used to working out.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Looking through the last few days your measurement are the problem and you are almost certainly consuming more calories than you think you are:

So many foods are logged as 1 serving but what constitutes a serving? Chicken legs are entered by the leg, how big was the chicken, was it the same size as the one used to set up the calorie goal on MFP, did they both include skin and exclude bone weight?

Start weighing everything to get an idea of exactly how many calories you are eating
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I only had 22lbs I wanted to loose. I am fairly new. Day 11 I weighed in 2.8lbs less. I exercise 3-5 days a week and most days eat at a deficit. Slow and steady wins the the race. Blessings.