Which lifting programme for beginner?

Options
Hi, I've been thinking about staring a lifting programme for a while but really don't know where to start.
My aims are to loose some body fat and generally look/feel better. I'm 5f 4inchs and weigh around 126lb, but have plenty of excess fat around the stomach/leg area.
I currently spin 3 times a week and do body pump 1-2 times per week, which have helped me loose some weight, but think lifting is what I need now. Been reading reviews on strong curves and new rules of lifting for women, which both seem positive, but which is best for a complete beginner to weights (obviously other than body pump).

Any comments appreciated!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is another popular one, but there are lots of options.

What equipment do you have access to? Will you be going to a full service gym? How many days per week do you plan on lifting, or is that flexible based on the routine?
  • sarahcjacques
    sarahcjacques Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do have a gym membership, and would aim for 3 session per week as I would like to continue with some spin along side lifting
  • sarahcjacques
    Options
    Gym does have weights area although never ventured in to it!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I learned how to lift using Body Beast, but I burned out quick. The good is I learned A LOT of strength exercises, so I can easily mix it up often. As mentioned, Stronglifts is great (wish I had started out on that one to introduce me to it), and I've heard nothing but great things about New Rules of Lifting.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    5x5 strong lifts
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would lean towards Starting Strength (link in Crypto's post above). Read everything you can about it and other programs before you start any of them to help you get an idea of which one might be right for you. Once you pick one, stick with it for a while.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The one you do. Consistently. Choose one. Doesn't matter. Stick to it for 6 months. Learn form. Profit.

Don't waste your time looking for the perfect one. That animal don't run.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You really can't go wrong with any of the following programs: New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, Strong Curves or Strong Lifts. They all are beginner friendly and revolve around pretty much the same core lifts. If you like things simple, then Starting Strength or Strong Lifts is the route I would suggest.

Have you done compound lifts in the past? If not, it may be worth your time to schedule a session or two with a personal trainer to run through form with you and then maybe a couple weeks into whichever program you choose to do a form check. Then after that, you can probably handle it on your own.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find this a nice launching point for beginners as it has a lot of info, links to videos about how to do certain "moves" and gives you all the tools to succeed.

bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html
  • jacksonpt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The one you do. Consistently. Choose one. Doesn't matter. Stick to it for 6 months. Learn form. Profit.

Don't waste your time looking for the perfect one. That animal don't run.

Good advice here.

Strong lifts, strong curves, and new rules are the tried and true, especially around here... but there are a ton of good routines. Find one that sounds good and get after it.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5!

It's great for beginners (I started with it!) because it's simple and easy to follow. Easy workout schedule, easy rep scheme, and the app is very helpful in telling you whether to increase/decrease/maintain the amount of weight you're lifting. Stronglifts has you do a combination of 5 compound lifts, meaning each lift targets more than 1 muscle group. Youtube videos on form or get someone to help you out, and you're good to go!
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I can't recommend it enough. There's a group on MFP for women doing SL 5x5, you can get great advice and tips from them.

I was kind of intimidated to go into the weight room of my gym too, being that I'm a pretty small chick who had never touched a barbell before. But It turns out that most of the people in there don't really care who you are or why you're there. And some of them are even friendly! It's not as scary a place as it seems. :)
  • RinseRepeat
    RinseRepeat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As others have recommended, Stronglifts 5x5. I started it a few weeks ago and it is so simple and easy to follow. There are videos showing how to properly perform each exercise, an app that will help you track your exercise (including timers and alarms for sets!), and it lays it all out for you in terms of how much to increase the weights by and when to increase them.

I've been extremely pleased with my progress so far using this program.
  • sarahcjacques
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, think I just need to choose something and start, rather than worry about it being 'perfect' for me. Also I will look in to hiring personal trainer to go through good form etc, to start with.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, think I just need to choose something and start, rather than worry about it being 'perfect' for me. Also I will look in to hiring personal trainer to go through good form etc, to start with.

Sounds good. FWIW, youtube has some good vids on form/technique too..

When picking a plan, the 2 big things to look for are:
    1) keep it full body - no reason to avoid or over emphasize certain parts.
    2) be sure to increase weight often as you progress. Many beginners, when starting off light, can increase weight weekly. The key to progress is continuing to overload the muscles.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is great at explaining the basic lifts. StrongLifts is a really good, easy-to-follow beginner program. New Rules of Lifting is very good, and maybe a little more than a beginner program.