Boredom eating

Options
2»

Replies

• mcgra263
    mcgra263 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to be REALLY BAD about this. My biggest thing that helped was not eating 3 large meals a day, but rather eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. Same amount of calories, but it kind of feels like I'm snacking throughout the day so I have lost that feeling of boredom. And if I do feel like extra snacking, I always ask myself "alright well are you willing to eat fruits and veggies?" and if the answer to myself is "no" I tell my inner fatty to shut up, drink some water, and continue on with my day. If my answer is "yes", then I have some fruit or veggies because I probably actually needed the fuel! Also, I have a tendency to not keep any sort of junk food around my apartment so that helps in a sort of "out of sight out of mind" way.
  • ilovetenerife2013
    ilovetenerife2013 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A workout of 30-60 min.'s in the morning helps me a lot; my body gets an energy boost that seems to last all day. Also not starting *anything* with sugar (or chemical replacements) and even cutting it completely out my diet made the strongest cravings go away. And yes, finding destractions such as doing a free online course (Google free MOOC), putting on nice energetic music and *start* whatever it is you have to do, read up on procrastionation etc. has helped me :) good luck!
  • megewyman0815
    Options
    I boredom eat a lot and lately I have been taking advice and staying active but the hardest is when the kids are in bed at night that is when I really tend to go for all the bad snacks that I have been scoping out throughout the day... I have tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work....lately I have been forcing myself to go to bed early so I'm not looking for the snacks
  • AugustCountdown
    AugustCountdown Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My downfall too. Especially cause I go to bed late when 'm not working so tempted to eat or eat really late. :(
  • jomarise
    jomarise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So many great suggestions here, Thank you all so much. I have written loads down so that I can try them and see which works the best for me. I suppose on the days that I am busy - I am really busy so on my day off I just want to stop, sit and not move (And that's where the food comes in) I have had a good week though and have just booked a holiday for October so am now highly motivated to eat healthily. Thank you all again :)
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I used to do this a lot. Hot tea works great. I also can now have a cup of tea without thinking I need something sweet with it. Just the tea.
    Also, when you realize this, just get up and find something to do. find a hobby, call a friend, go for a walk, clean out a drawer or cupboard. Sometimes I find I am doing this even on a healthy thing, and I realize, hey, I'm not hungry, what the heck am I doing?? I have to tell myself, the things I were eating were not my friend, weren't doing anything good for me, were hurting me. Start making better habits when You get that feeling and you can stop it. Be mindful when you're doing it and get up and move on... It's these bad habits that got us where we are now, make good habits and get where you want to be.
    Good luck and keep up the good work everyone, be patient, it's a slow process, you can do it. Just start, tell yourself you're worth it.