Fit Bit

Options
I work construction in the summer and have NO time to exercise. Work 16 hour days plus travel sometimes. I am thinking of getting a Fitbit.

Pros/Cons
Which one should I get.
What about that one that Biggest Loser has is it better? Not sure of the name of that one

Thank you

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, so I'd recommend it. Pros are that it automatically adjusts your calories if it's connected to MFP so no need to try to guess how much exercise you've done, and it means that if one day you do nothing your calories will automatically reflect that. No need to set a higher activity level then worry about eating too much when you're sedentary for a day or two. I have a Fitbit One because I don't like things on my wrist, it just means I can put it on and forget about it, whereas something on my wrist would be annoying me all day. In tests the One also tends to come out as more accurate, too.

Cons: it costs money. And you have to remember to put it on.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and I like it. It keeps me moving, as I want to see the numbers climb higher. You can add friends and create challenges for a group (most steps in a day, a week, etc).
    It's small and easy to wear. I have to wear a uniform to work and the FitBit can't be visible. I just clip it to my bra (in the middle, on the front) and you'd never know it was there.
    There's a free app that you can use with it, to easily track your progress.
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    I have a FitBit and I like it. It keeps me moving, as I want to see the numbers climb higher. You can add friends and create challenges for a group (most steps in a day, a week, etc).
    It's small and easy to wear. I have to wear a uniform to work and the FitBit can't be visible. I just clip it to my bra (in the middle, on the front) and you'd never know it was there.

Which one do you have?
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Our company is giving us free Fit Bits as part of a health and fitness incentive program. Can't wait to get it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Swoopette wrote: »
    LoraF83 wrote: »

Which one do you have?

The FitBit One.

• Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Our company is giving us free Fit Bits as part of a health and fitness incentive program. Can't wait to get it.

Thats pretty cool. Will they give me one? :smile:

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Lots of fitness trackers on the market. That's a good thing for consumers. Think about what features you like. Do you want to wear it on your wrist? Do you want it to double as a watch? Does it need to be waterproof? Etc.

I like the Fitbit One. I don't wear a watch and don't plan to start. The One clips to my pants - usually is attached at my pocket. My husband has a Polar Loop. Based on what he wanted, Fitbit did not appeal to him.
  • tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge HR and I love it. I have a desk job so its easy to get stuck in my chair all day, but I love the calorie adjustments between fitbit and mfp because it gets me up more often. I like seeing I have more calories to eat, and I don't like when they disappear on me. haha
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stairs and love the Fitbit One, it doesn't have a fancy wrist strap, but it clips onto anything.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Surge and I LOVE it. Two primary reasons I picked this model: 1> The HR monitor. It's not perfect but it's a good way to look at your overall exertion and health. 2> the GPS. I had a Garmin Forerunner 10 to track my outdoor runs. While the Surge isn't quite as accurate, it serves its purpose well.

The primary reason I love having a FitBit in general is that it's made me realize that I burn a lot more calories than MFP or other online calculators estimate. I have a desk job so I usually set the calculations based on lightly active. But I almost always pick up "extra" calories for the day. On days that I don't exercise and really don't do much (e.g. run errands, go to kids' activities for school or sport, etc.), then I still end up with about 200 extra calories. For days that I'm out running errands, etc. I get about 500 extra calories. Workout days are anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 extra calories. This has helped me realize why it was so hard for me to stay on track with MFP with the standard settings. I was just so hungry and would often overeat, feel guilty, and then overeat more.

I think if you work a job like construction and are active then the FitBit would be great for you. It would help you realize how much you're burning so you can stay on track.

The Surge is the first FitBit I've had, so I can't comment on how it compares to other models.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, so I'd recommend it. Pros are that it automatically adjusts your calories if it's connected to MFP so no need to try to guess how much exercise you've done, and it means that if one day you do nothing your calories will automatically reflect that. No need to set a higher activity level then worry about eating too much when you're sedentary for a day or two. I have a Fitbit One because I don't like things on my wrist, it just means I can put it on and forget about it, whereas something on my wrist would be annoying me all day. In tests the One also tends to come out as more accurate, too.

Cons: it costs money. And you have to remember to put it on.

This, this, totally this! I love my Fitbit One :D also can't stand things on my wrist. The price is totally worth it. I've had mine for two years and counting and Fitbit customer service is awesome as well, my clip/holder thing broke once and they replaced it for free. Edited to add - I wear mine on my bra and have never had to worry about it falling off.
  • NoelCormier
    NoelCormier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit HR, because I wanted a continuous HRM that didn't include a chest strap. I liked it a lot, and was great for keeping tabs on my heart rate. I really like the Fitbit dashboard, and the automatic adjusting to MFP. It was slightly annoying that the display turned off automatically, and you had to push the button, or double tap it to get the display.

I traded it in for a Fitbit Surge. I like that is a functional watch that stays on continuously, especially when keeping tabs on my HR during a workout. I don't like that i can't get rid of some of the categories (steps, floors, distance), and i have to swipe through them to get to the things i want to see (HR, calories, time). The audio controls don't seem to work with Pandora, or podcasts. Its bigger than the Fitbit HR (obviously) and is not as comfortable.

I'm most likely going to trade back in the Surge for the HR. Besides the hidden display, it has all the features I want, its more comfortable, and cheaper.
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex. I don't mind having things on my wrist. I love how interactive the app is and the information it gives you. It also sends me an email when it needs charging and it also sends encouraging messages to let me know how close I am to my goal. The other day it froze up on me, but I did the restart their web site told me to, and it seems to be fine now.
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have the Fit Bit Charge HR as well. I love it. I had the Flex and while I loved it, I kept losing it. When it got lost the last time and never returned, I went with the Charge HR. It has a watch-like band so it doesn't come off. That is something to keep in mind, especially in a job like yours.

As for the Fit Bit, it pushes me to move more. It's fun to have friends that you can do challenges with for extra motivation. I even like that it displays when I am getting a call. Sometimes I don't hear my phone but I always feel the vibration on my arm.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. It motivates me to get moving, which is good because I work a desk job and need to move! Several friends have one, and we have challenges every week, which motivates me even more. I started with a Fitbit Flex, but changed to a One because I didn't like having it on my wrist all the time.
  • 71_supergirl
    71_supergirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to find out how many calories I"m burning-PER workout. I start my exercise like BodyBeast for instance and press the button on my HR to start. I press it again when finished and look on my fitbit for the calorie burn. Does anyone know if that is the calorie burn for the execise itself, or total calories so far...

Also, I linked to MFP acct and I don't know why it's not showing up. I have to manually go in and put the time and cal? Is this correct?

Is it better to enable the automatic cal deficit, or not?

Thank you !!