Weight Training

Options
I was wondering if people went for low weight high rep or low rep high weights to burn fat.

Or do folk do a mixture of both? I'm trying to switch things up just now advice would be helpful

Replies

• freakinglord
    Options
    Well, im doimg stronglifts 5x5. Not sure if it helps burn fat.
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read about low weight/high rep exercises is that they're... not very effective. At least compared to the other option.

Lift heavy, follow a beginner lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength (if you're new to heavy lifting), and watch as your body changes faster than you ever would have expected. I've only been doing Stronglifts for less than a month and I'm already stronger and look and feel slimmer and more toned than I had achieved in over two months of doing low weight strength training. Plus it's fun!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit burns fat.

Weight lifting strenghens and builds muscles. The best way to accomplish that is a progressive load program.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What and how much you eat will determine fat loss. Cardio can increase the calorie burn, but I’ve found it also stokes my appetite making it harder to stay at a deficit.

You lift weights to gain/retain muscle strength and mass. So, what is your particular goal for lifting? For new lifters, I recommend a strength program (especially if you’re eating at a deficit). The rep range for strength is 3 - 6, and as heavy as you can go with good form. Anything over 11 reps is going to maximize muscular endurance, which is great if it is sport specific, but otherwise, not all that important in a body composition improvement effort.