(Almost) ran an entire 5k event on Sunday

Options
Hey guys!
2 months ago I signed up for a 5k event, but got horribly sick and had to take several antibiotics a day, which left me sleeping all day for almost 4 weeks...
I finished week 6 from C25k and had to stop training for almost 4 weeks and before the actually run only trained TWICE.
On Sunday I had to walk hree times during the 5k, but still finished at 33:51.
So how should I go on from here? Pick up at week seven c25k?
Any suggestions?

Replies

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! No suggestions - you did better than I did when I ran my 5k!
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great job. Continue with your program. You can also try slowing your running pace a touch whic may help you run longer.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Well done! I would say start with C210k
  • susang19
    susang19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good job !!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Great job just stay focused.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Great race!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would LOVE to have that 5K time! Keep it up! :smiley:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Whenever your forced (or voluntarily) to take a break from training, you should step back the intensity a bit to avoid injury. Six weeks in and four weeks off, I’d go back to week one or two, depending on how intense those were the first time you went through the process. It should feel easier this time, but go slow to allow your body to adapt and not get injured.

Do you have another race in mind? It often helps motivate me to train when I know I have a pending event.

Enjoy!
  • anja89z
    anja89z Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody!

I started doing workout videos and kettlebell workouts at home last Christmas, so I started c25k at week 4, and it was not too challenging but still an achievement.

I have a few other races in mind
    May, 17th a 7/8k (still not published but I ran the same race 2 years ago and it was 7k)
    July, 26th a 10k

So I might just start again at week 5 and see how that goes..!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First off, congrats! From here, lots of people are going to tell you to just move on up to the next distance (likely, a 10K). I'd encourage you to develop as a runner first and not bump your mileage up too much, too soon. Now that you've successfully done C25k, why not pick up one of Hal Higdon's 5K plans?

Here's the intermediate, but if it's a bit too much, he has a novice too (Or you could combine them in a way that makes sense to you).

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program

I'd encourage you to continue to develop until you can run that 5k strongly from start to finish and improve your times. Then, move on up (if you want) to a different distance.

Either way - congrats & good luck!

PS I've done full and half marathons and guess which distance I totally love? The 5k! I'm doing one on Sunday. I find it's a fun distance to really push yourself and see what you're made of!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's great! (And a great time for your first.)

I love the Hal Higdon 10K program and was very successful with it. If you want to step up, I'd highly recommend it.