Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie according to Gym equipment or App

missunderstand01
missunderstand01 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay! So I've been to the gym for the last 5 days straight and I'm busting it trying to keep my heart rate up and trying to burn some serious calories. I biked 8 (almost 9) miles in 30 minutes at 100rpm with the stationary bike set to a lvl 6 resistance and still only burned 238 calories, I was busting tail!! When I typed it into the myfitnesspal app to log it, it was saying I should have burned almost double that! Which am I suppose to be using as accurate!? If I go for a walk, I just log it in the App and it says I've burned a bunch of calories, but now I worry that it's wrong.

Insite?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I would go with the lower number. The number from MFP is based on some general activity levels without any knowledge of the specific equipment you are using. I think MFP get closer to the right number for exercise you do outside, but it still won't get it exactly right. No estimation tool can.
  • missunderstand01
    Ya I was afraid of using the lower number, but I have been lol. I knew it wouldn't be exact, but I definitely want to go with the closer number. Thanks!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    neither - 50-75% of MFP
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    neither - 50-75% of MFP

She said the equipment gave her a number that was about half of MFP. By your math, that would seem to mean the equipment is correct. Personally, I don't think just saying that MFP is reporting twice what it should is the correct answer, because MFP is close to correct sometimes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    238 in 30 minutes seems reasonable. that is about 8 cals/minute.
  • missunderstand01
    Ya, Reasonable I agree with. But with a heart rate at 165 & biking like you're trying to get away from rabid monkeys, I guess it was just wishful thinking to burn more than that.

Thanks ya'll for the imput! Loving this site/App!!