What am I doing wrong?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am 5.6 and 184 lbs. I need to lose close to 40lbs. Since the beginning of the year (I weighed in at my heaviest - 201lbs), I have followed a controlled diet and exercise regime and lost 17lbs. But I am unhappy. I am happy with the weight and inches lost but something is wrong somewhere. Mornings are usually ok but as the day is coming to an end, I feel completely exhausted, hungry, irritable. I have lot of activities throughout the day and I just can't keep up. I am too tired to cook or play with my kids or do anything else. I don't log everything in MFP but here's how my typical day looks like -

7.30am Lemon water
8.30am Smoothie - Fruits including Banana - 3/4 cup blended with 3 egg whites
9.30 - 10.30am Workout (Usually Cardio Elliptical 5 days a week, 2 days strength training)
10.30am Whey shake
12pm 1 serving of Carb + 1 serving of Protein like Rice/Whole grain Pasta/ Whole wheat tortilla + Chicken curry (not grilled etc, cooked with lil oil)/ Cooked veggies in lil oil/ Lentils/ Beans etc
2pm Usually Trail mix bar or some nuts
4pm Greek yoghurt
6pm 1 Grilled chicken breast

All of the above usually comes to 1200 cal. I feel hungry most of the time, this is nothing compare to what I used to eat before. I usually don't eat much junk except for icecreams/cakes 2 times a week. Its just lot of carbs and large portions. I feel weak most of the time. I sleep at about 11pm. Sometimes I am so hungry, I crave junk and give in. Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong, should I up my calorie intake? Also, when I increase my carb intake in the evening I feel a lot better but results slow down.

Suggestions please!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Since you are working out, you should be eating more.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    17lbs since the start of the year is great, and your diet looks good. You can definitely eat more and lose weight, I'd suggest changing your goal to lose 1lb per week so you get some extra calories each day. It's definitely worth losing a bit more gradually in exchange for not being tired and hangry all the time! Also, do you exercise at all? Even walking counts. What is your activity level set as? I find I'm happier earning some extra calories from exercise and eating them back.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. Your body is really smart. It gives you little clues to let you know it needs something. If you get twinges that you think is hunger... drink a glass of water... if you still feel hungry... eat a healthy snack. Are you hitting your macros? It sounds like your protein is kind of low. I try to get a higher deficit during the week to give myself room to eat a little more on the weekends "work hard to play hard" kind of thing. No plan is the same for every person... you have to fuel your body for the work you're giving it to do and do what works for you.
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a doctor for the tiredness. You could gave a thyroid issue or low on iron. I was having some trouble and found out I was extremely low on Vitamin D. Something that is an easy fix could be causing all that exhaustion. You may want to consider giving your body a rest day. Working out 7 days a week doesn't give your body healing time. Just some ideas that work for me. Good luck!
  • mirandalynn83
    Options
    Agreed.. Working out = eating more. You may not have enough fuel to get through the day. Leafy greens are a must like Spinach and Kale! Also avocado is a great source of healthy fat! It looks like you may need a larger amount of protein and a little less carbs. Too much sugar leads to quick rise and fall of energy and leaves you feeling sluggish, hungry, and irritable!
  • Designergal2012
    Designergal2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weightloss! I would be careful with smoothies (too much fruit could mean too much sugar = too many calories) and whey protein (tends to bulk you up). Lose the trail mix bar and substitute rice/pasta (doesn't keep you satiated and complex carbs) with sweet potato.

Having raw veggies with protein is much more filling and low in calories. Snack on fruit and peanut butter or plain yogurt with fresh berries (sprinkle grape nut cereal or Kashi Crunch for added treat). Yogurt at night is a good snack and helps with sleep. Hot tea is also good (w/out sugar).

Keep up the good work. You're already a success.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    If you dont have any medical issues,then for sure you dont eat enough
    You maybe be around 1200 calories a day, but with working out like you do, you need more food.

that's why you are tired and burned out. Your body needs full when the motor is running faster/harder.
    1200 calories is not a lot and will do when you are sedentary and dont do a lot at all.

I was on 1200 calories for 4 months ( now 1300) and i was not tired, or burned out at all.
    I train 6 days a week
    Eat 1/4 back of my burned calories
    And lost over 5 months almost 75 pounds

And in those months i just had some days i was tired ( with an explainable reason like moving stuff and other unusual activities)

I feel energetic, happy and driven to do things.
    But i eat a lot more food than you do on a daily base for 1200 calories.

So my opinion ( if you dont have any medical issues) is that you have to eat nutritious food ( a lot more vegetables and fruit) and eat back also at least 1/4 to 1/2 the calories you burned.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I workout 5 days a week for 1 hour usually Cardio and strength on 2 days. I rest 2 days with no workout. I have my activity level set to 'Lightly Active'. Do you think I set it ok?
    I will try to add more protein. Do you think this routine I am following will cause muscle loss?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eat more, for sure.

I started at 178.5, 5' 5.5" and I turned 40 last year. Lost ~53 pounds in 9.5 months. The first 6 months, eating 1400-1600. Then the last few months eating 1600-1800.

Being tired, and low on energy in general is your body's way of saying something is not right. Eat the foods you want - but aim for a higher calorie count. Have some veggies & a side with your 6pm dinner. Increase the size of your snacks a little. Though you indicate the issues happen later in the day, so increasing the afternoon snack and dinner may 'fix' the problem.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I workout 5 days a week for 1 hour usually Cardio and strength on 2 days. I rest 2 days with no workout. I have my activity level set to 'Lightly Active'. Do you think I set it ok?
    I will try to add more protein. Do you think this routine I am following will cause muscle loss?

Your activity level needs to be set for the amount of movements you do aside from exercise. Exercise is logged separately, as you do it, and gives you extra calories for the day you do it. I work out every day, but I'm sedentary because outside of that, I sit a lot.

You can't avoid muscle loss during weight loss. You can only work to minimize it. Getting enough protein, and strength training, helps. But so does eating enough, so make sure you NET (after exercise) at least 1200. If you're still not adjusting, change your goal to something less aggressive. Not everyone can feel well with a giant deficit, and if you're too tired to play with your kids, etc, that's a problem!

For diet: You only have veggies at lunch? They're a great way to eat more for fewer calories, plus they give nice nutrition.

For hunger: You may want more at dinner or an after dinner snack. I'd be hungry if I didn't eat after 6 pm. (When you eat does not matter for weight loss.) And if you feel hungry most of the time, you may do better eating bigger meals and not snacking, or having fewer or lighter snacks. Did you used to eat small meals every hour or two instead of big ones? Because the "have 6 small meals" thing is also a myth. Meaning, if it works for you, then it does. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. People have their own preferences. I like to have satisfying meals, so I put more calories there, and only snack under certain circumstances. Finally, make sure you're getting enough protein AND fat, and that you get some with every meal/snack. They really help with satiety (and your body needs adequate amounts of both).

Also: DO log everything in MFP. You get faster at it, and it will benefit you, especially down the road as your deficit gets smaller (less room for error).
  • sdsc2003
    sdsc2003 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, what I´m seeing here is a lower intake of carbs that what you should. don´t be afraid of good, whole carbs, they are your best ally when it comes to feeling satisfied throughout the day. I have lost 55 pounds and kept them off for 2 years already and I have never given up on carbs (the good ones). from your daily diet I can say:
    1. your first meal of the day is full of fruits which have good type of sugars but they give you just a brief pump of energy, what you need to add there is at least a slice of whole wheat break or multigrain tortilla, you need this because you will need that energy in about an hour for your workout, also instead of 3 egg whites, add at least one whole egg so it gives you a good fat to start the day off.
    2. your post workout meal, make sure the whey protein you are using has a balance amount of carbs too for muscle recovery, not only protein. there are some with no carbs at all and those won't be that helpful after a workout.
    3. your lunch looks perfect to me
    4. Greek yogurt, then again good protein but here you need to either a little "good fat" source or a good carb source. probably 1/8 cup of walnuts, almonds. in this snack I have one scoop of any isolated whey plus 1/4 cup of old fashion oatmeal. trust me this helps me to continue the rest of the afternoon not feeling hungry and I HAVE KEPT THE WEIGHT OFF and lost fast and gain muscle.
    5. just grilled chicken at night won't be enough. at least if you don't want to add more calories try to add a good amount of vegetables, the fiber in the veggies will help you feel satisfied, try with probably a cup of steamed broccoli, asparagus or any other of your preference. I eat them raw or just steamed for literally a couple of seconds so they won't lose all the vitamins and fiber.

sometimes when I go to check people's diary I notice high intakes of sugar, don't focus so much on the calories but the quality of the calories. there might be low calories products but the few calories they have probably come from hidden suggar. a lot of non fat yogurt options in the market may even have as many as 25 grams of suggar per serving so watch out for sugar intake.
    remember: don't be afraid of good carbs and don´t be afraid of good fats. it is all a matter of balance and if you are following a good excersice plan you will need them both for good recovery.
  • sdsc2003
    sdsc2003 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BTW 17 pounds is great! it is better to lose them gradually than all at once. congratulations
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! Id say up the protein intake for sure. Egg whites aren't doing anything for you as the majority of protein and nutrients from eggs are in the yolk. I eat a piece of multigrain toast with a tbsp and a half of natural peanut butter for breakfast and it keeps me going till lunch. Then for lunch, a smoothie with spinach, 1 small activia yogurt, tbsp flax seed, 1/2 cup trop50, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup frozen berries blended and a hard boiled egg (around 380 Cals for both). By the time I get to supper I have a lot more wiggle room to eat what I want and stay within 1200-1300 Cals a day. And I don't feel hungry or irritable and I care for my 2 year old during the day and work at night. Definitely play around with more nutrient dense foods! Good luck!