The Burn During Weights?

Options
I am trying to cut back some pounds so obviously watching what I eat and trying to keep up with calories I burn. The treadmill tells me roughly the calories I burn but I have no idea of how much I burn during weight training. I know it's going to depend upon weight and intensity, but I don't even know where to start.

Personally, I don't lift very heavy (working on it) But for now, I tend to do lighter weight with more reps. I also like super-setting to keep the intensity up. And sessions usually last about an hour.

So, my questions: What do you burn during your weight training sessions? Could anyone give me a rough estimate for myself? Is there any way of knowing?

Thanks!

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You could get yourself a physics textbook and calculate the minimum energy needed, lol. There's no real way to guess as it's very dependent on your routine and the weights and pretty much a million other things so trial and error is really the only way.
    You also can't trust your treadmill either.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing something extreme, the number is too small to matter.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, your nutrition will dictate you weight loss and exercise will just help augment it. As long as your nutrition is correct for your goals, then re-focus your exercise on a physical goal such as running faster, increasing strength, etc.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights and moving for much of the hour, you can pick a modest number and use that to do some trial and error testing. Depending on your size 200-300 calories would not be unreasonable.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    a got burnt once, had the scar for like 4 years.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Hot Weightlifting has some unique challenges.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'd give yourself 100 calories and call it a day. That's basically what I do.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Log it under cardio instead of strength training and it will show you calorie burn estimates. There is no way it will be completely accurate but it will be a start for you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

Hot Weightlifting has some unique challenges.

I think we've found a good use for gloves.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I do 250 calories, as long as I lift for 45 minutes and hit multiple groups. NROL I think estimates 250 for 3 x 10 squats, lat pulldown, overheard press, lunges and swissball crunches, for example. I usually give 250 for 45-60 minutes of lifting. Some days I go easier, some days heavier, and I hope they average out. Just about everyone on here touts the long-term advantages of lifting and metabolic boost and all that, so I shouldn't be too far off here. I'm losing weight, anyway.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I do 250 calories, as long as I lift for 45 minutes and hit multiple groups. NROL I think estimates 250 for 3 x 10 squats, lat pulldown, overheard press, lunges and swissball crunches, for example. I usually give 250 for 45-60 minutes of lifting. Some days I go easier, some days heavier, and I hope they average out. Just about everyone on here touts the long-term advantages of lifting and metabolic boost and all that, so I shouldn't be too far off here. I'm losing weight, anyway.

I give myself 170 for an hour. The math supports this for me too.
  • rwethington654
    rwethington654 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied! I wasn't expecting it to be some outrageous number, I was just curious.