Stupidest weight lifting question ever

Options
I'd like to listen music on my iPhone while I lift weights. I have an uncomfortable arm band for it, but I never use it - just pop the iPhone on the console of the treadmill or in my pocket if out for a run. I don't want to get another, smaller iPod or similar, which would be easier to carry. What do you use?

Replies

• Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    In shorts pocket with the cords run under my shirt. But since lifting is relatively short duration and requires lots of concentration I don't wear it then.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    We use this bluetooth speaker in our exercise room, the phone can sit where ever that way, I don't have to carry it around.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I use my (large) Galaxy Note 4 while exercising. I have an App for tracking my weight training routine (JeFit). I also recently started listening to music after getting some bluetooth earbuds (Jaybird Bluebuds) for Christmas. Since there is no wire from the earbuds to my phone, the phone just goes where I go, either sitting to the side or under whatever equipment I'm working out on. I do HIIT jump rope, and have no problem with them staying in. If you have bluetooth on your phone, that's the route I'd go. The Bluebuds I got are expensive, but they work great. You can go cheaper if needed.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I use my (large) Galaxy Note 4 while exercising. I have an App for tracking my weight training routine (JeFit). I also recently started listening to music after getting some bluetooth earbuds (Jaybird Bluebuds) for Christmas.

I'm just about identical here. I have the Galaxy 4S, I use Jefit for my lifts and my nike watch/map my run for my outdoor runs and I have bluetooth headphones (plantronics). I used a belt clip before I bought the wireless headphones when I was lifting. I hated armbands since it always felt like it wasn't tight enough or it was cutting off circulation. With wired headphones, my phone was fine sitting on the machine but I couldn't listen to music while running outdoors. I suggest either getting wireless headphones or using a belt clip, not sure if Apple has those for ipods though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Bluetooth ear buds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a bluetooth set called DJ Slims from Outdoor Tech that I’ll wear during cardio work (I am too focused during lifting to hear music).

I love the products by Outdoor Tech. I needed a replacement charge cable for my DJ Slims. It was a discontinued model, so they sent me a spare cable they had in the office, AT NO CHARGE. That is how you take care of a customer!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    my iphone in the back pocket of my jogging bottoms

or on Wednesdays I hand it to my trainer because he has this stupid thing about me listening to him :grinning:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have a Galaxy S4 Active.
    I use an armband. I don't care for my arm band solely because I can't get it tight enough to stay in place and not slid down/spin (and I don't have particularly small upper arms...)

I also have an ipod shuffle that I just clip and run the cords through my shirt.
  • drblystone
    Options
    I use a cheap Phillips MP3 player, and upgraded to some great Skull candy ear buds. The player was around $40, is smaller than a credit card and light wieght. I figure if it get's lost, smashed or stolen, I'm not out IPod money, or scrambling to replace a phone.

The sound is all in the speakers/earbuds/headphones anyway. The $20 "spandex" arm bands work great, I barely notice it there. I run the cord under my shirt and it doesn't snag on anything. Most of the serious lifters at the gym do pretty much the same thing.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    In another thread someone was singing the praises of the "Flipbelt"
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a Sony Waterproof Walkman - no tangled cables and I don't have to worry about arm bands, pockets and any of that nonsense. The only drawback is that people sometimes don't see I'm wearing it, start talking to me, I don't hear a thing and inadvertently ignore them - everyone at my gym probably thinks I'm really rude!

hik4uxqzpgtd.jpg
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    In shorts pocket with the cords run under my shirt. But since lifting is relatively short duration and requires lots of concentration I don't wear it then.

THis OP but I listen to music throughout the whole day.
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i use iphone 5 with cords under my shirt. always wear sweat pants or shorts that have pockets with zippers.

is there a good earpod that is louder? the apple earpod is just not loud enough.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    get a pair of jaybird bluebuds x bluetooth ear buds, they never fall out of my ears and I can keep my phone on the floor next to me
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    +1 bluetooth headphones.

I have the Jaybird Bluebuds. Bought mine reconditioned so they don't work well for answering the phone, but they've been perfect for listening to music.

Also +1 some kind of waist belt. Picked mine up at REI, can't remember the brand. Very comfortable, enough space for the iPhone 6+ and prevents any flopping around.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I stick my phone in my sports bra. It sits where the strap meets the bra part. It probably sounds uncomfortable but it isn't. I use my phone for music and to track my stronglifts workout so I'm constantly using it. It's easy access there.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Since most of my exercise shorts don't have a usable pocket (they might be fine if I wanted to carry one cough drop), I use a Spibelt worn under my shirt.
  • Sickpuppyapb
    Sickpuppyapb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/stereo-bluetooth-headset-sbh20/

The controller bit is tiny and comfortable to wear on your tshirt neck, the headphones are excellent quality with superb sound. they've never fallen out while doing some pretty hardcore lifts and best of all they don't get in the way and your phone is unlikely to get damaged either.
  • dportee2
    dportee2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I wear Scottevest T Shirts. My iPhone fits perfectly in the zippered pocket, and there's a pocket to stash my keys & other small things. No muss, no fuss. 3 styles available.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV_Tshirt.shtml
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Cotton_Tshirt.shtml
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Pocket_Man_Shirt.shtml