How many calories to eat when lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice and you're at a good starting point.

I'm small like you and when I started NROLFW, I was doing a slight calorie deficit. I found it was EXTREMELY hard to increase weights this way. I'd do at least 1600 on non lifting days and 1900 on lifting days. Trust me, you will see a difference in your lifts.

Since you just started, you can work your way up to this level. But by the time you get around to stage 4, you'll know what I'm talking about. :wink:
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bumping for future!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention when I first posted that I am petite also. 5'2" 95lbs, unsure of my body fat percentage. 8 actually posted on here concerned about calories when I first started to, as my BMI is 17 and the books charts start at 18. I haven't weighed since I started, but I'm not starting to look chubby from the extra food.
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    I just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone for their advice. I have bumped my caloric intake to 1550 and I feel so, so, so good about my new goals and plans. I have so much energy (it might be in my head, hehe) and I am making a concerted effort to consume whole, real foods consistently throughout the day. I even had breakfast for the first time in a long time today, albeit it was only a nectarine.

This new plan is so much more manageable than a hyper-restrictive 1200 calorie diet. The following is copied and pasted from a different post, but it really sums up how I'm feeling. I feel like a real person now that I can eat a typical amount for a normal adult. I had always felt really short-changed that I supposedly couldn't eat more just because I am a petite girl. So in short, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION. I have learned more being on this forum in two days than I have in the past two months and I feel so great and motivated now that I actually know and understand how to get where I want to be.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling great, I feel so much better than I was on 1200 as well. Just give it a month or sothen review whether you think you need more or less then, but it sounds to me like you are going to be taking in about the right amount. Good luck with the program :) I am doing my 6th workout today and its still very exciting LOL
  • klm78
    klm78 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference!