Eggplant

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
Bought an eggplant recently. Only thing I could think to do with it was salt it (to get the bitterness out) and eat some with a few eggs. But what else can I do with eggplant?

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I made this once and it was SOOOO good! To keep it on the lighter side I skipped the step where you bread the eggplant slices and roasted them without.

http://www.marthastewart.com/340875/eggplant-and-mozzarella-melt?center=276955&gallery=274258&slide=255461
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Baba ganoush is delicious and easy, especially if you like hummus.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Or cubed and cooked with a can of tomatoes. Very simple but tasty.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I roast them with courgettes (zucchini), peppers, and tomatoes. Or use them instead of pasta to make a cross between lasagne and moussaka. Or dry fry them on a griddle and serve with chicken. Or turn them into dip. So much you can do with them.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I just slice them and roast them with a little salt. Sometimes we eat it just like that. I love it breaded and fried but that doesn't love me, so roasting them is my next best thing. After roasting, sometimes I layer it with lasagna type stuff and bake again or use it for eggplant parmesan. The baba ganoush mentioned above is amazing stuff.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Cube it and Toss with cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, olive oil salt and pepper. Roast at 425 for 30- 40 minutes. Serve as a side or over pasta.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You can slice it thin, place some soy sauce on it, and some brown sugar. Watch as it cooks at around 350 degrees that the sugar doesn't burn. You can also experiment with placing the brown sugar on mid way to avoid the burning. Time to cook approx 15-18 minutes. Cut thin slices, but so thin you can see the bottom of the pan. Enjoy.
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesan, eggplant lasagna, eggplant meatless meatballs, are all favorites of the teenage vegetarian living in my house.

As long as you salt it first, is great for all types of recipes. Sliced thick it can replace chicken breast and sirloin in just about any recipe.

We like eggplant so much I plant it in a "meatless Monday" garden along with squash so we have a steady supply summer-fall.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Our favorites are Eggplant lasagna, grilled eggplant with olive oil and garlic, and we make our own hummus with grilled eggplant in it. We have found there is no need to salt it to "get the bitterness out" as so many recipes seem to call for. It's bitter when it's raw, but not bitter when cooked.....You can save time and effort by skipping the salting and still enjoy great eggplant
  • sungoddess101
    sungoddess101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I chop it up with a bunch of tomatos, cook them with garlic (in a non stick pan) and then either out it on top of chicken or add it to pasta or quinoa
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cut into thin slices, layer in glass dish with pasta sauce and some shredded cheese, bake at 350 for 30 mins, salt and pepper to taste, doesn't get much easier than that :smiley:
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille is one of the most famous and best-loved eggplant dishes in the world. It's very much like what some people are describing here.

My mom used to make this all the time and bake it, adding a layer of chedder on top in the last 10 minutes.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/ratatouille-recipe0.htmlhttp://
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You could roast it and eat it as a side or puree it and make a veggie tomato sauce for pasta or use it as a base for soup. I like to slice it and make a vegetable tian with other veggies and cheese.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Some salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you prefer and GRILL IT! So delicious. I like to grill a mix of okra, squash, and eggplants and it is so delicious and flavorful.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The best recipe I ever had with eggplant was this:
    https://houseofanansipress.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/thug-kitchen-next-level-lunches/

EGGPLANT AND MARINADE

1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
    1⁄4 cup water
    1⁄4 cup tamari or soy sauce
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
    1 tablespoon agave syrup or other liquid sweetener
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)

NOODLES

8 ounces soba noodles (you can use whole wheat pasta or whatever here, but soba noodles – made of buckwheat flour – taste way better)
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    3 tablespoons water
    1⁄2 cup fresh basil cut into thin ribbons
    11⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds

To keep the carbs/calories down I used extra eggplant and less noodles.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Bump to save for later. Some great ideas here!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the second time today I've shared this recipe.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704546/
    I've also replaced half the eggplant slices with zucchini.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    japanese/korean style is to steam it - much less oil than roasting or boiling.

a really simple salad recipe is
    http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gaji-namul
  • into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just made an eggplant dish the other day! I cut in cubes, cooked through with chopped up garlic and sauce. poured that over zucchini noodles and topped with basil and a tbsp of reduced fat ricotta cheese. it was AMAZING!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Already said, but baba ganoush. Made some yesterday. Cut in half and drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast cut sides down until all squishy and translucent. Blend with garlic, olive oil, s&p, and tahini. Super easy and delicious!

Eta, obvious, but make sure to remove skin before blending ;)