Wake up starving

Options
I keep waking up in the middle of the night starving!!! No matter how much I eat for dinner... Anyone else?

Replies

• lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry at all any more - unless I go all day without eating. Are you definitely gaining weight/over maintenence (assuming this was supposed to be in this section)?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ummm you realize this is the gaining forum right?

eat more before bed…or drink some water when you wake up
  • lbulahan87
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yes lol I am trying to gain weight I eat dinner and a snack before bed. I've been trying to hit my 2100 calorie goal everyday...Lately I'll be woken up in the middle of the night starving! I'll get up make a snack but that I am up for the night. If I could go right back to sleep I wouldn't mind but I can't so I'm so exhausted the next day

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Eat just before bed, it's what I do. Even something simple like a protein shake will help a lot.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lbulahan87 wrote: »

Yes lol I am trying to gain weight I eat dinner and a snack before bed. I've been trying to hit my 2100 calorie goal everyday...Lately I'll be woken up in the middle of the night starving! I'll get up make a snack but that I am up for the night. If I could go right back to sleep I wouldn't mind but I can't so I'm so exhausted the next day

OK ..

just eat more before bed..

maybe a serving of ice cream or something like that an hour before you crash?

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Did you start your bulk after having restricted calories for a while? Were you underweight?
    If so its probably your hunger hormones kicking in and you may need to eat more.

Also, eat fat, omega 3, sat fat, all of it! That will help you sleep.
  • lbulahan87
    Options

Did you start your bulk after having restricted calories for a while? Were you underweight?
    If so its probably your hunger hormones kicking in and you may need to eat more.

I've always been under weight no matter how much I eat... I just recently started tracking my calories since I've been working out so much I want to make sure I'm eating enough. I have been having a hard time reaching my target cal. Goal I'm so full I'm not used to eating small meals through out the day. Normally I'd eat 3 large meals. Hopefully it is just my hunger hormones like you said and my body will adjust
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The middle of the night is when you have fasted the longest. Often the liver kicks in at that point to give your body a boost of sugar. But if you have few reserves, you are waking up starving because you are hungry! Have a snack that includes a protein and a carbohydrate, and I suggest if you wake up hungry have something like a vanilla protein shake or warm milk. Something soothing without any caffeine in it.
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    I'm so full I'm not used to eating small meals through out the day. Normally I'd eat 3 large meals.
    Hope you don't mind if I ask, why have you changed how many meals you eat? It's just that when I was losing weight, I ate 6 meals a day because it stopped me from being hungry - I had to recently stop this after upping my calories several times during bulking because I was struggling to eat them all. Obviously it might not be the same for you at all, but it might be worth considering going back to three, higher calorie meals if that stops you from being over full.

• ndj1979
    Options

I've always been under weight no matter how much I eat... I just recently started tracking my calories since I've been working out so much I want to make sure I'm eating enough. I have been having a hard time reaching my target cal. Goal I'm so full I'm not used to eating small meals through out the day. Normally I'd eat 3 large meals. Hopefully it is just my hunger hormones like you said and my body will adjust

ice cream, the answer is always ice cream ...
  • lbulahan87
    Options
    I'm so full I'm not used to eating small meals through out the day. Normally I'd eat 3 large meals.
    Hope you don't mind if I ask, why have you changed how many meals you eat? It's just that when I was losing weight, I ate 6 meals a day because it stopped me from being hungry - I had to recently stop this after upping my calories several times during bulking because I was struggling to eat them all. Obviously it might not be the same for you at all, but it might be worth considering going back to three, higher calorie meals if that stops you from being over full.

I'm working out a lot now so I started counting my calorie intake I wasn't getting nearly enough calories that I was supposed to with how I was eating before. Now I'm extra hungry so I am trying to eat small meals that have a higher calorie count
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    today i blended together 1 cup cooked cold brown rice, 1 scoop protein powder , half cup milk, 4 teaspoons sugar, and some cardamom. it was so filling, i was satiated for like 2 hours. very high in carbs + protein, maybe try something similar?
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    I'm working out a lot now so I started counting my calorie intake I wasn't getting nearly enough calories that I was supposed to with how I was eating before. Now I'm extra hungry so I am trying to eat small meals that have a higher calorie count
    Oh, right. It's just that you said in your other post you were full all the time. In that case, yes, good idea. :)

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I found that when I was doing my bulk last year, it was torture forcing myself to each enough for the first few weeks (I was at a 3500 calorie diet). But, once I finally got used to it, I was STARVING!! if I didn't eat every few hours. It wasn't uncommon for me to eat a large snack before bed and wake up ravenous the next morning, sometimes even in the middle of the night.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you in the first few weeks of upping cals? Its normal to be very hungry those first few weeks. Also....what kind of excersize are you doing? 2100 calories is really not that much. I would wake up hungry with only that much.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Try a glass of milk instead of real food. Even warm it up so it isn't so refreshing
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Slow burn carbs or a casein shake are really good for sating appetite over the night.
  • Pamtho2015
    Pamtho2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you sure 2100 calories is high enough? If you're working out a lot, which it sounds like you are, then you really need to log everything and make sure you are eating back the calories burned. In terms of snacks maybe try comfort foods last thing at night like porridge, banana, glass of milk and cookies before bed?
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely up those calories! And maybe work out less!