How many calories should I be eating while strength training?

Options
klm78
klm78 Posts: 26 Member
So, I've been eating around 1200-1300 calories since September and doing cardio (mainly running) to lose weight. I've lost right at 20 lbs doing this. I started a strength training program in February and have lost a few lbs and inches, but feel like I'm not eating enough, and the last thing I want to do is lose muscle! I'm thinking that I should eat more on the days that I lift (around 1500) and less on the days I'm off and only doing cardio, but there is no rhyme or reason to those numbers! Is there some sort of guide out there to follow?

My husband is a high school football coach and our strength and conditioning coach at the school is the one guiding our workouts (a group of 6-8 women). We've just maxed out on squats and bench and are doing a 7 week workout that follows the same workout the football squad does. We also do different arm and leg workouts on those days using dumbells and plates.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Maintain weight: eat at TDEE, lose: eat at deficit, gain muscle: eat at surplus.

If you still want to lose fat but keep as much as muscle as possible, I'd consider upping your calories (especially if your lifts have stalled). Try TDEE - 10%.
  • klm78
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I still have some weight to lose. I'm 5'3 and weigh 139...my goal is 120. I will up my calories and see how that goes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Definitely look up your TDEE. This is a number tailored to your size and age.

1,200 is just a default minimum, and not necessarily accurate for you. The 1,200 minimum that MFP recommends is BEFORE exercise. So (if it were me) I would be eating more on cardio days too.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • klm78
    Options
    Wow! According to that calculation, my TDEE is 2298! If I use that less 10%, that's still eating 2000 calories. That's a big adjustment from what I'm used to consuming. Thanks for your help!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    How is your energy level during workouts? How well are you sleeping? How is your overall recovery? Are you losing more than 1 lb per week? How much protein are you eating? How much carbs are you eating? Have you had a BF % measurement? Have you done other body part measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, upper legs)?

The estimates for TDEE are fine, but that isn’t the whole story (and it is just that, an estimate). I’m not sure I’d just jump from 1200 to 2000 because a formula says to.

On another note, no offense to the hubby, but do you have the same goals as the football team? And for that matter, do they all have the same goals? Your training should reflect your specific fitness goals.
  • klm78
    Options
    My overall energy level is great during workouts and I never have trouble sleeping. It normally takes 1-2 days for me to recover from a workout (we workout 3 x week). My weightloss has slacked off...definitely not losing 1 lb per week. I've lost 4.5 lbs in 6 weeks. I had tried IIFYM for about a week and was eating much more protein, but have slacked off on that, too. I haven't had a BF measurement, but have lost inches since we've started working out.

There's no way I would jump to eating 2000 calories! I don't even know if I could eat that much!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I agree with Allan -- you've currently got a system that's working for you (4.5lbs in 6 weeks is a good rate for where you're at goal-wise), and wouldn't go making a major change in your calorie intake until you get closer to goal weight. Going back to the higher protein wouldn't be a bad idea, 'tho. At this point, you're more interested in muscle sparing more than gains.