Can Someone Clear This Up Please...

Options
Just a little confused on something.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I don't go over my calorie intake of 2100, I can fill that with any foods I like? Whether that is a pizza and chips or a salad? Does it make a difference to weight loss?

Obviously I know a salad is better for you but does it matter in terms of hitting your calorie intake?

Reason being is in my first week I lost 7lbs just from eating mostly healthy stuff but if the odd night I can work a takeaway in to my calorie goal that would be great, would just have to not eat a lot else during the day.

Can anyone clear this up, thanks.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, no - it does not matter where your calories come from.

Nutrition is another story, obviously - but with planning there is no reason you can't do both nutrition and weight loss.

I've lost 72 pounds so far practicing moderation - my diary is public if you'd like to check it out.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. CICO is what dictates weight loss. What those calories are made up of determine health and body composition. Want some pizza and chips for dinner? Plan for it and go for it. It will create a much more sustainable change for a healthier life overall if you work hard to learn how to balance what you want with what your body needs.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You would probably have a temporary gain from water weight due to sodium, but that should flush from your system in a few days. Takeaway is very hard to get an accurate calorie count from, though.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    you can eat whatever you want and as long as youre in a deficit, youll lose weight. Now, youll feel a lot better and have better overall health by eating a nice variety of foods with high nutritional content.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    All that is required for the weight loss part, is the deficit. Obviously it's important to meet your nutritional needs, but after that, anything goes! Plus.....pizza :smiley:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It's important to know that for weight loss calories in/calories out is all that matters.

More traditionally considered "healthy" foods like vegetables and fruits are STILL a good option because you can eat them in a higher volume and the contain important minerals and vitamins.

The key here is to find something that works for you. There's no point in eating a diet that you can't maintain long term.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is true about the odd night of take away as long as you account for the calories earlier in the day. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit for straight weight loss.

however, macro/micro adherence is important for body comp and overall health.

so make sure that you strike the right balance between nutrient dense foods and not so nutrient dense foods like ice cream, cookies, bagels, pizza, etc.

Basically you want to hit your calorie/micor/macro goal for the day and then fill that in with some other things that you like. if you day has eggs. whole grains, turkey, fish, vegetables; then by all means feel free to mix in some ice cream, cookies, etc. OR have a nutrient dense breakfast and lunch and have pizza for dinner.

I have found pre logging to be a big help to see what I can or cannot fit in on any particular day ….
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Composition does influence weight loss to some extent, but amount is the most important.
  • BeadyRoller
    BeadyRoller Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies! That has made me feel a whole lot better, nice to know I can treat myself every so often :)

How do you people count calories in a takeaway? Do you estimate what it might be or? Because the stuff I would have wouldn't be on My Fitness Pal.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies! That has made me feel a whole lot better, nice to know I can treat myself every so often :)

How do you people count calories in a takeaway? Do you estimate what it might be or? Because the stuff I would have wouldn't be on My Fitness Pal.

I just find the closest match I can - and estimate high.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If it's from a restaurant or chain, I ask if they have any nutritional info (and check online before going, when possible). Err high, as @TheVirgoddess said.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you can eat whatever you want and as long as youre in a deficit, youll lose weight. Now, youll feel a lot better and have better overall health by eating a nice variety of foods with high nutritional content.

Agreed. In addition, my experience is that if you don't get adequate nutrients while you're trying to lose weight you end up having a harder time sticking to your eating plan
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    And drink a lot of h2o if possible
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with other replies as well calories come in the form of. Carbs and protein = 4 calories per gram and fat = 9 calories per gram. With most processed and fast foods sodium and sugars are the problem
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The only "problem" you may find with takeaway and such is they're sometimes high calorie but not always as filling as a comparable number of calories of a "healthy" foods. So if you usually find that 300 calories of food keeps you full for 3 hours, maybe it'll just be 2. And the sodium and such can make you retain water for a while. Drink lots of water and give it a few days.

Nothing wrong if it fits in your calories for the day or week :)

~Lyssa
  • BeadyRoller
    BeadyRoller Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies! Appreciate it!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie count than all is well I have found for me personally. I lost weight while still having wing night and booze on Fridays. I just changed the amount of food I was eating. For example in the past I would have 1/2 a pizza...now I just eat 2 slices with some veggies. I also adjust the rest of my food and workout to account for the fun meal.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    All that is required for the weight loss part, is the deficit. Obviously it's important to meet your nutritional needs, but after that, anything goes! Plus.....pizza :smiley:

and chocolate and ice cream
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options

you sure can! i fit chocolate and ice cream in daily :smile: