Bad hair?

Options
Ever since I've been losing weight my hair has been terrible I used to have curly/wavy hair now its all flat and its so brittle, no shine or silkiness. Anyone else have this problem and what helps it?

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Evaluate your new way of eating. You need protein, fruits, and veggies for healthy hair (vitamin A, zinc, and folic acid).
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Take a prenatal vitamin. Seriously.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to add a multi vitamin. Maybe a prenatal, even if you're not planning to get pregnant. Walgreens has a good one. Also, it may depend on the type of exercise you're doing. Are you swimming? If so, are you conditioning? I know that seems obvious, but thought I would ask...
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    do you take any vitamins? i would start taking a multi vitamin or a hair, skin, and nails vitamin.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Evaluate your new way of eating. You need protein, fruits, and veggies for healthy hair (vitamin A, zinc, and folic acid).

That is what I was going to say. See if you can find a really good multi-vitamin. Prenatals work good too, and nope, don't have to be preggers to take those. They also have folic acid in them, which is really important for women.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options

yes, I agree! And try leave in conditioner. It has done wonders for my hair.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    being anemic (low iron) will affect your hair as well... even to degree of it thinning/falling out, brittle.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    And remember that you need good fats in your diet. Also, when you loose weight, all of the fat soluble crap you used to eat has to get used up with the fat you're burning. Its like adding all of the awful stuff you used to eat to what you're eating now, just without the calories. That part of it you just have to wait out. But a prenatal, good fats, and if all else fails, Biosilk.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough healthy fats (olive oil, salmon, avocados, nuts, etc). If your diet is too low in fat it can cause dry hair and dry skin too. You could also add in an omega 3 supplement (I like wholemega brand) if you don't already take one. That might help.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In addition to the things mentioned above, being too low in calories can cause hair issues too.
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    multivitamin! my hair and skin have improved so much! i love it and my eyes are so bright and shiny
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    hair needs protein too. Since increasing the protein intake, and taking a hair, nails skin multivitamin I have had my hair grow much longer and healthier. It's below my midback now! ^_^

Good luck!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with all the vitamin comments either through supplements or changing up your diet.

In addition, if you are working out more you may also need to adjust your hair care routine. I know for me personally, since I was increasing the number of times I washed my hair, I had to get a different conditioner (moisturizing) etc. Use a heat treatment since I was blow drying etc more. That sort of stuff.
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Several things could be to blame. First, as has been said above, nutritional deficiencies because of you limiting certain foods in your diet could be to blame. I definitely agree that a multi-vitamin is a good source to ensure you get your Recommended Daily Intake of the essential vitamins and minerals. Other possibilities are numerous. If you are washing your hair more frequently because of more frequent exercise, this can actually leave your hair looking less healthy. Some people benefit from washing every other day in this circumstance, although I know this is "gross" for some people. As your weight changes, your thyroid can be affected as well as it adjusts to your new basal metabolic rate. Both hyper and hypothyroidism can lead to hair changes, but if this doesn't reverse with a multivitamin, less washing, leave-in conditioners, etc... you may want to consider talking with a doctor to have your thyroid hormones checked (in addition to a few other labs).
  • amandakay3000
    Options
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use a product called "Dumb Blonde, its a wash out conditioner that (at my hairs worst in its life) a stylist told me to shower at night, leave it in and then wash it out in the morning, had to do it for about a week and BLAM great hair... i sue it as a normal conditioner now. that will get you over the immediate hump - but your hair is lacking from your diet - prenatal's rock! since my daughter my hair grows faster and so do my nails which used to be really really brittle!
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    to Kyle - higher levels of the nutrients are the main diff.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yep, my hair has been on a downward spiral. It's been the bane of my existence since the birth of my 4th child (nearly two years ago)

My diet is better than ever, I take vitamins. I do wrestle with low iron (due to very heavy TOM) even though I take iron sups and eat iron rich foods. I'm at the end of my rope with it, honestly.
  • loflinmom
    loflinmom Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same problem -- thanks for asking and thanks to everyone who responded!