Clothing size chart in relation to height and weight

Options
VHANEW
VHANEW Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello Everyone,
I realize clothing size takes in many factors - body composition, natural shape, etc.. but I am trying to shop ahead for an event, as well as procure cheap goal dresses by season, and wondering if anyone knows of a chart or online calculator that can spit back the output to a question similar to: "If I weigh this, and am this height, I will generally wear a size ________". Your feedback appreciated. Thank you!
Happy fitness everyone!

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    No way to know. Each time I lose weight, I lose it from different parts, so sometimes I'm a comfy 6 at 150 and sometimes I'm an 8 (can't even get a 6 up past my thighs). This time it came off around my back so I'm smaller on top.

My advice: Wait until you hit goal to go by goal clothes. Shop for your event a week ahead.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There are too many variables besides just height and weight. I have friends who weigh less than me and are about my height but because I have more muscle I can fit into a size 2 and they can't.

My best suggestion is that if you buy something a size smaller, make sure it has elastic or is made of stretchy material so if you aren't really that size you didn't waste your money. If this event is more than 2 months down the road, don't buy clothes for it yet. You're better off waiting until you get closer so you have a realistic idea of what size you'll be. Take your measurements now, chest, bicep, natural waist, hips, thighs, calves and then track them every 2 weeks - a month. That should help you with sizing charts down the line. Good luck
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Every one is different. Two people who are the same height and weight can wear two different sizes. For instance I am 5'3 and when I weighed 175 lbs I wore a size 12. My mom was the same height and weight and she was a size 16. Your best bet is either wait until the even gets closer or if you find something that you like now, purchase it and then have it tailored to fit you at a later date.
  • VHANEW
    VHANEW Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your quick replies! Love this site and you are all wonderful! :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sorry there is no real way to tell unless you try it on. I am 131(ish) and 5'1" tall and I just bought two pairs of old navy shorts size 2 and they fit great. Other stores I will wear a 4. I really just depends. It sucks I know. :D
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I would just wait until the event. There is just no way of knowing what body shape/size you'll be, so even if it's the right numeric clothing size, it might not fit you well and it'll just be a waste of money. Case in point, while I was losing, I went through a period of time when I skipped a whole dress size - I went from size US 14 to US 10 pretty much within a matter of weeks. And there is no way on this planet I thought I'd be a size 2 at target weight. I have never been this "small".

Now, there's nothing to stop you from browsing online to see what clothes you might like to buy at the time..
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No way to guesstimate that one. I wear a larger size button-up shirt since I'm busty, unlike many I wear a smaller pant than shirt size, and for a dress - it just depends. Wait and buy clothes that fit - you'll be much happier. The other issue is when the US did away with standardized sizing - all bets went out the window!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This site will show you some guidelines but everyone is different, so is every store so it is best to wait until you're closer to the date to prevent being disappointed!
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I weighed 174 and wore size 12 (pushing a 14)
    I weighed 142 and wore size 8
    I weighed 160 and wore size 8

A friend of mine weighs 130 and cannot get below size 10 because her hips are wider and losing more weight isn't going to make her bones more narrow.

Body composition and how you are shaped will determine your size, not only weight.