Can Someone Clear This Up Please...

Options
2»

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will cause weight loss regardless of the source of your calories, however, the thermal effect of food and level of insulin spikes etc can affect how MUCH weight you will lose.
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sure. I love Pizza and all of the other things that we're not supposed to eat while dieting. CICO. As long as I stay in a deficiet I lose weight. I feel better when I eat healthier. I have more stamina, more energy, less bloating and other stomach issues, plus I get to eat more often, which is always a plus in my book, but I don't kick myself when I decide I want something else.

I also plan it usually. Like I have a dinner date with friends Friday Night, and we're getting pizza. I will work that into my Thursday and Friday food goals to counteract it. and I'll make sure I'm hydrated.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies! That has made me feel a whole lot better, nice to know I can treat myself every so often :)

A lot of people find restricting such things completely causes failure and binge eating.

I try to pick places to eat where their calories are logged and nutrition info posted online if I have to grab something out. Like tonight I don't get to go home after work before soccer. So I'm grabbing Subway (which I have a gift card for!). I pre-logged my day to make sure my sub fit.

I try to limit eating at places like the awesome Italian place down the street to 2-3 times a month max since it is harder to get an accurate calorie count. I too try to find something similar and estimate high. If I know I'm eating out and not logging that meal, I try to eat less during the day, or throw in a good workout. I personally note less progress on the scale the more I eat out. It's about finding your own personal balance between lifestyle and progress.
  • BeadyRoller
    BeadyRoller Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks! Was going to get a dominos with my girlfriend tonight but a slice has at least over 250 calories in it I have found out! I have 1400 calories left today, would feel bad for eating it even though I could probably get away with it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Look at your calories like your bank account. It doesn't matter what you spend your money on as long as you spend less than you earn.

Having said that, you'll probably feel better if you make sure to pay your rent and your bills first, save some for a rainy day, and then splurge with what's left over. If you spend everything you own on designer clothes or expensive trips and lose your house as a result, you won't be so happy.

Same with calories. Technically you can lose weight by eating at a deficit, whether you're eating all pizza and chips, or all healthy foods. But realistically, you'll be healthier and happier if you're getting your nutritional needs met, and then treating yourself to some snacks or drinks with whatever's left over.

They're your calories. You can spend them however you like. You just can't spend more of them than you burn.