Birthday cake?

Options
May is a very busy birthday month for my family. Seems like I have 1 or 2 every week. Do you guys refuse birthday cake at these parties? Or just account for the fact that you will eat it and exercise more?

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    depends on how the rest of my day looks. Sometimes I take the caloric hit and sometimes it isn't worth it.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love Birthday cake!! However it is a 'treat' for me and I want to keep it that way LOL!!

I'd just have a smaller slice... or maybe not have cake at every single Birthday do if you have lots coming up at the same time??
  • rosaliabritt
    rosaliabritt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes, to the birthday cake. I try to plan for special occassion meals and birthday cake--by tracking my calories and eating light on
    that day and thus allowing myself to eat the special occassion meal and have cake, too--sometimes, I may have 1/2 of a slice, and
    sometimes the full slice. I just pre-plan my eating for that day and always watch my portions. That way, I am eating and enjoying the meal, right along with everyone else, with the exception that my portions are always moderate. So enjoy!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, yes. Or I would ask them specifically to cut a small piece - maybe 1/4 of the size of normal piece so I could have a taste.

Now that I'm maintaining, I eat the cake but cut back 200 or so calories the next day or two (depending on the size of the cake!)

If I had to go to 4-8 parties a month, though, I'd probably skip the cake a few times!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday as a matter of fact....30 ugh....my girlfriend asked me about this and I told her not to get me cake or ice cream. It's good, but I know as soon as I eat it, I will regret it and feel like this morning at the gym was for nothing!!! I've worked too hard to let a piece of cake or a scoop of ice cream screw me up. I'll save the ice cream for the day I reach my goal weight.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change; so you will be dealing with birthdays and cakes, etc. for the rest of your life. So you have to decide if you can fit that piece of cake into your daily food and exercise program on a case by case basis. A lot depends on the kind of cake and icing. Plain old store bought cake with sugary icing - I will pass. Homemade chocolate cake with chocolate icing of any kind - oh yeah baby - I will make it fit into my schedule.

Good Luck!

Mary
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    moderation take the small piece from the center not the edge and compensate with your exercise,, march is my worst month... but i made it though with no gains.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    Yes and no. For me it depends on who's Birthday it is. For my daughters, nephew, etc. I don't eat the cake because the kids could care less if I had a piece or not. Now my mother-in-law would be very offended if I didn't eat a piece, so I work it into my calories for that day.
    It is your decision, but always think about what you are consuming before you put it into your mouth. Most of my family respects my weight loss journey and it has not been a problem when I turn down cake. Good Luck!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the majority on here. I eat light that day to make sure I am able to have a "small" piece of cake, and I exercise to make up for it. Cake is a weakness and I don't know if I can ever cut it out of my life for good! lol Good luck!!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I always eat the cake. Of course, I treat myself to yumminess a lot. It works for me, just find what works for you.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i always pass on the cake and taste some from my kids so I dont feel deprived.
    this way i get to taste it and dont feel guilty about it later.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    Ahhh Birthday Cake..my favorite! That is why I'm in the mess:noway: Once I taste it there's no turning back I'll go on a binge for a week or two or three....Is it a trigger food for you? If not they eat it & exercise it off . I on the other hand can bath in it... Need I say more?
  • LavendersMom
    LavendersMom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I LOVEEEEEE cake! That is my downfall, and I'm batteling if I should allow myself a cupcake tomorrow for the party. I say go for it, just don't eat any more sugar that day.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to refuse cake. Cake is the only thing that matters in this world.
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    Well at the latest birthday I was able to get down to half a cupcake so that is an improvement.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat reeeally clean for breakfast and lunch, just protein and greens, so I have more calories - or I'll try to schedule lifting or run a 5k on that day so I have extra calories. If I have a lot of social events close together, I may refuse at some but not another depending on how I feel, how many calories I have for the day, whether I've been eating too much sugar lately, etc.
  • tinadoll99
    tinadoll99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My birthday is tomorrow and I told my daughter exactly what I wanted. Angel food cake made with applesauce as a more fat free choice. Then to include fresh fruit with a fat free whipped topping. She said that if that is what I want then that is what I will get. It is my way of planning ahead for my own birthday. Now another persons birthday, I would just need to plan on a small piece if any. Just don't go in without a plan; stick to the plan.