Interested in C25k but.....

Options
OKmac3
OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
I am a former high school cross country and track athlete and have thought about doing the C25k (and even thought of signing up for a 5k run in OKC) but I am not sure if my body can handle it....I see so many people doing it and seem to enjoy it but I still have reservations. My reservations are found in the fact that I have knees that will give me fits and the fact that I am 80 lbs heavier than the last time I even attempted to run/jog....I am so hesitant/scared that its not like me

Replies

• mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    If I were you (and I have bad knees), I would start JUST walking on a daily basis. As you get in better shape, lose weight, etc. You can then add c25k. You have to walk before you can run.

Good Luck!

Mary
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Why not give it a go and see how you get on? I started it last summer and got bad knees.....I'm on week 3 now and so far so good. You can always stop and try again in a few months! What have you got to lose?
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I am a former high school cross country and track athlete and have thought about doing the C25k (and even thought of signing up for a 5k run in OKC) but I am not sure if my body can handle it....I see so many people doing it and seem to enjoy it but I still have reservations. My reservations are found in the fact that I have knees that will give me fits and the fact that I am 80 lbs heavier than the last time I even attempted to run/jog....I am so hesitant/scared that its not like me

Give it a go! Make sure you don't think you are Usain Bolt though!!!! Take it easy, repeat weeks if you need to (I'm yet to get past week 6!!!!!!).

I started the programme at the end of February and I can honestly say week 1 was the hardest!!!! I was around 190lbs when I started and never thought I'd get this far.

I'm doing a charity 5K at the end of June and really want to run all of it!!!!

LouiseXXX
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Start walking. Get your heart in shape and some of the weight will come off. As you begin to weigh less and build muscle, you'll be putting less stress on your knees. When you get comfortable walking, try running!

But get moving! It's 5K season! :happy:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36 year old male, weighing 260. Been doing the program for about 8 weeks. I'm doing the timed segments, not the distance segments. It works! I'm not fast, but I have built endurance. I never enjoyed running until now. Running my first organized 5K tomorrow morning. You can do it!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I want to say whether you start out walking or jump right into couch to 5k- get busy. You can do this- though I do not know you, I am certain you have done harder things. Your knees will probably hurt and you should chat about your planning to run with your Dr next time you see him/her, but I have faith you can run 3 miles with some practice and hard work.

Btw- a runner once said that being scared/nervous is a good sign- it means you are about to do something worthwhile.
  • SgtBB
    SgtBB Posts: 2
    Options
    Before I started MFP I tried C25K but at over 300lbs and bad knees it was not a pretty picture. My wife was badly injured in a car wreck many years ago so she can't even run, jog or even normal bicycle. We purchased a recumbent stationary bike and it has made all the difference in the world.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot! Stretch very well before and after. If your knees hurt during the run, don't be afraid to stop and stretch then as well. I am training for a half marathon and sometimes my knees get really sore, so I will stop mid-run and take 30 seconds to stretch my legs. It makes a world of difference at the end of the day (and the next morning when you are actually able to get out of bed). Also, know your body. There are some days your body will want to go farther than others. Don't push out a 5K just because you feel like you should if your body is telling you "not today."
    If you do find your knees hurt to bad to run, try an elliptical machine. My fiance has a bad ankle that hurts when she runs, but the elliptical puts a lot less stress on the joints.
  • OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I think I am going to start on Monday with week one. I am tempted to go ahead and sign up for the 5k race in September now so that I have a goal to shoot for and to keep me on track