CrossFit!?

Options
Can somebody explain how CrossFit works? Cauz all I see is people running around the parking lot, jumping over puddles and dodging traffic!!

Replies

• DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I actually was trying out CrossFit for about 3 months cause I heard it was "intense" but stopped bc it was so expensive and after stretching for half of the class we ended up doing actual intense workouts for like 15m and didn't find that worth my money. But I must say in those 15min we did do some pretty good working out, learn some good techniques and got a good burn. Not worth it tho, most classes are really expensive.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    O
    I actually was trying out CrossFit for about 3 months cause I heard it was "intense" but stopped bc it was so expensive and after stretching for half of the class we ended up doing actual intense workouts for like 15m and didn't find that worth my money. But I must say in those 15min we did do some pretty good working out, learn some good techniques and got a good burn. Not worth it tho, most classes are really expensive.

oh and did I mention I would end up at my gym after most crossfit sessions? Lol!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm really into CrossFit. It's a great workout and it's got me lifting heavy weights with confidence. Every CrossFit gym is different, however, so experiences here will vary.

A typical class for me is warmup (1000m row, run or burpees), 20-30 minutes of strength training, and then the Workout of the Day, which is a combination of strength and body exercises.
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    O

oh and did I mention I would end up at my gym after most crossfit sessions? Lol!

LOL!!!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I know a number of people that absolutely love it.

However, as others have mentioned, it is very expensive. It's also very cult like in nature and members go out of their way to recruit friends and are typically very judgemental of those who don't do CrossFit- especially overweight individuals.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have heard about it is that it's for... Not sure if the right word, brutes?

People who just want to lift the heaviest stuff, the hardest/fastest.

But I don't know, it's always just been this thing that goes on at the side of the gym.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's like an intense bootcamp workout.

I would love to do it, but I don't because:
    1. I have a very bad knee and can't jump up and land on a box with any predictability.
    2. I am ridiculously competitive and know that I would hurt myself trying. I've heard some horror stories about CrossFit injuries. The competitive nature pushes people beyond reasonable limits.
  • PRMinx
    Options

However, as others have mentioned, it is very expensive. It's also very cult like in nature and members go out of their way to recruit friends and are typically very judgemental of those who don't do CrossFit- especially overweight individuals.

This is not true at all. At least not any of the CrossFitters I know.

We definitely don't judge other workouts - in fact many of us also run, do yoga, swim, etc. And I have never, ever heard or seen one of my CrossFit friends judge or be mean to someone who is overweight. In fact, at my gym we have several overweight people that are getting started on fitness with personalized training and they are just as welcome - and just as fun - as anyone else.

Judgemental my *kitten*. SMH. Maybe the people you know just suck.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    The only thing I have heard about it is that it's for... Not sure if the right word, brutes?

People who just want to lift the heaviest stuff, the hardest/fastest.

But I don't know, it's always just been this thing that goes on at the side of the gym.

Not always the case either. It depends on the gym.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Its like wearing the FULL KIT to see you team play
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Most crossfitters I know attend at a gym, and usually just the warmup and some other things are outside, but the majority of the workout is indoors because it requires specific equipment. You might also be seeing bootcamp style workouts which are somewhat similar. We have about 4-5 different ones in the park it seems like at any given time.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Whats the difference between fightclub and crossfit? You must not talk about fightclub
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    In my limited experience, i have found the people to be incredibly nice and supportive to all levels of fitness.
    The workouts and programming can leave a bit to be desired, but many of the workouts are fun, despite being difficult.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    Whats the difference between fightclub and crossfit? You must not talk about fightclub

And yet, here you are. In a CrossFit thread. Talking about it.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think this speaks to the fact that you're going to have a pretty different experience with crossfit depending on the crossfit gym you try. Unfortunately some of this is very true, it is super expensive and some gyms are not efficient in their programming which leads to an unsatisfying workout and pretty unsatisfying results. I've had quite a few friends who experienced this. However (and i'm sure i'm a little biased) it can be an amazing workout that can be catered to any level of fitness should the right people run the gym. (I've lost 50 pounds doing it)

A typical workout at my crossfit gym would include:

Ten minutes of joint mobility (warming up)

Actual warmup for about ten minutes which would include something like a 400 meter run, 3x10 16KG kettle bell swings, 3X 10 burpees, 3x 10 air squats

Then there would be a strength component which takes about 20 minutes- Ex. Find 1 rep max clean and jerk where the coaches would help you with form and help you figure out where you should end up weight wise.

Then maybe for 12 minutes each minute on the minute do a clean and jerk at 80% of the one rep max you just found

The you would complete the main workout of the day which could be something like complete 3 rounds for time of rowing 500 meters, 30 back squats (@65#) 20 front squats (@65) 10 walking lunges, 3 minues of rest.

I might also do some supplemental lifting afterwards

PRMinx wrote: »

This is not true at all. At least not any of the CrossFitters I know.

We definitely don't judge other workouts - in fact many of us also run, do yoga, swim, etc. And I have never, ever heard or seen one of my CrossFit friends judge or be mean to someone who is overweight. In fact, at my gym we have several overweight people that are getting started on fitness with personalized training and they are just as welcome - and just as fun - as anyone else.

Judgemental my *kitten*. SMH. Maybe the people you know just suck.

I'm going to have to agree that I havent experienced any of this judgement that this poster speaks of (and I started it very overweight). I've found it to be a pretty warm and welcoming experience with very little judgement but again this could vary from place to place. Overall I'd advise you to read reviews and check credentials of the crossfit gym you are interested in trying. Hope this helps!