so, um...

Options
ginmo333
ginmo333 Posts: 100 Member
i have been doing awesome eating and working out!! i've had my little slip ups but nothing major....well last night I finally took my "two steps back" ... I ate 3 and a half large pieces of pizza hut stuff crust pizza....these were LARGE pieces. I felt sooo full afterwards, but logged it in MFP and bc I did zumba and jillians shred yesterday I still came out below my goal for the day. awesome. My question is this....why then, when I woke up this morning did the scale say 3 lbs heavier!?! i know we all make our mistakes and we jsut have to keep pushing forward...but does 3 lbs seem a bit extreme? seriously. i feel a little bit defeated now.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Did you look to see how much sodium was in that pizza? Drink some extra water and drink extra veggies today and it will be fine.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it's all the salt in the cheese...pizza has very high sodium...drink lots of water you'll be fine
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Its has nothing to do with the pizza last night... most articles I read equate 3500 calories to 1lb of body fat... but of course that's a general statement and that number will be different for every individual.

It could be something simple like water weight... or muscle growth... so many factors. but one bad meal won't make you gain that much weight... I have a cheat meal every weeks where I eat anything and as much as I want with no ill effect... as long as you're pretty consistent during the week, a single bad meal will not hurt you.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you normally eat, the food itself may be weighing you down. That and the water everyone else has mentioned.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Food like Pizza Hut has an extremely high sodium count. High Sodium causes you to retain extra water, which can lead to a couple of pounds jump day to day. The good news? When you're back on track on eating the right amount of sodium and not overindulging, the weight will disappear in a day or two.

So don't fret too much. The gain is only temporary :)
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. It makes me CRAZY! But, I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much. Typically it's just a weird fluctuation and in a day or so you're back where you were.
    :-)
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Did you look to see how much sodium was in that pizza? Drink some extra water and drink extra veggies today and it will be fine.

I agree there is no way you gained 3lbs of fat overnight, it will just be water weight from all the sodium.
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Your body is still processing the pizza! No way you can actually gain 3 real pounds overnight!
  • StaceyDono
    StaceyDono Posts: 21
    Options
    Its natural for your weight to fluxuate a bit day to day, don't stress about it to much ok? Just keep doing your best in every thing you do and it will keep melting off!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    couple of possiblities.
    1. You underestimated the number of calories in the pizza.
    2. Pizza Hut pizza has ALOT of salt. it could very well be water weight.

I would get back on the wagon and weigh in again tomorrow or the next day. I suspect those three lbs will not be there for long.:bigsmile:
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I agree, sodium and water weight. Drink lots of water and make better choices today and it will even out really soon. It happens and its all good.
  • ginmo333
    ginmo333 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you guys are all sooo awesome! thanks so much :)
  • JenniferO1982
    JenniferO1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can't gain 3.5 lbs in a night—it's the sodium causing you to hold water. Veggies, green tea, water. Plus regular good eating and exercise. It should be gone in two days or so.

Don't beat yourself up for the pizza. It's all about moderation—not deprivation. In fact, pizza is my krytonite. I let myself have it every now and then, and I PREPARE to see that extra 2-3 lbs the next day from all the salt.

:)

Remember that to have TRULY gained 3 lbs in a night, you would have had to have overdone it by more than 10,000 cals! That's above and beyond what you burn by simply being alive, and what you burned being active, metabolizing, etc.
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    I am impressed it was only 3 lbs actually. If I had done that it would have been 5, lol. Obviously you didn't really gain 3 lbs but the sodium was probably through the roof and that will make you gain weight like no other! Pound the water, and get back on the band wagon today and I bet tomorrow that weight will be mostly if not all gone. No worries!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone who said it was the sodium. I always notice a small gain when I eat too much sodium, or just a lack of weight loss. If it's not already, try adding sodium to the things you track in your diary. If you stay under that 2,500 (to be honest, I try to stay under 2,000) I think you will notice a huge difference in how you feel and how much weight loss you see! You won't be hanging onto all that tricky water!
  • nirsky
    nirsky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It happens all the time.
    I am 178 lb one day, than the next after eating only 1500 calories and burning 500 calories, I am 180 lb..after a few days I am 178.4lb and after a week I am 168.8 etc....

I was told to look at the clothes and how they fit you, not the scale.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the actual weight of the food. People tend to forget that there's non-digestible mass in every food, and its going to weight you down until it goes, well, down the toilet.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the actual weight of the food. People tend to forget that there's non-digestible mass in every food, and its going to weight you down until it goes, well, down the toilet.
    THIS. It's a processed food and I'm sure all that gluten isn't helping matters. So between the salt and the gluten, that pizza probably hasn't passed through your body yet.
  • slimha
    slimha Posts: 4
    Options
    This to me seems to be the number one reason to weigh yourself once a week only! Everyday scale standing only gives us a sense of false accomplishment or a feeling of defeat! If you feel bloated the next day then that should be enough in itself to keep you on track in the future. Remember though we all deserve a "cheat" it is unrealistic to think otherwise.

Keep up the good work and stop being so hard on yourself :)