Going over on Sugar

Options
I eat Special K Yogurt and Berries... I will have a full cup instead of the 3/4 cup. I will already go over my sugar for the day. How important is it to stay under your sugar goal? Everything else on I am fine and am under except the sugar.. I need Help

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't watch 'sugar', rather I watch total carbohydrates. I don't even know if there is a recommended daily intake for sugar. I try to stay under 200 carbs a day. Sometimes I blow most of that eating something full of processed sugar, but mostly it comes from whole grains and fruit.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The sugar calculation is my #1 complaint about the MFP system...I got over *every single day*, even if I don't eat anything with added sugar. They don't allow enough flexibility for natural sugars, like fruit. I wouldn't pay attention to it, just make sure your sugars are natural and not from refined, processed, junk food
  • gwenniegirl
    Options
    you should try haveing a goal.Like if you try not having alot of sugar than you can have a treat each week.
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    You shouldn't worry if the sugar comes from fruit, and plain natural yogurt. Lactose, fructose, are natural sugars.

Beware the flavored yoghurts, also the breads you buy at the store, ... everything is loaded with "useless" sugars.
    You can sweeten plain yoghurt with honey, or with some strawberries...
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I arrived on the late train. I agree with everything everybody else said about not worrying about it. I don't even track mine. I'm confident that I'm eating a diet rich in whole foods (i.e. not processed), so I don't really care about sugar and sodium. I think their importance on this site is overrated, especially if you're staying away from processed foods.
  • CjsWifey411
    CjsWifey411 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was trying to stay as close to the recommended amount on here but is is almost impossible.... Hearing all the feedback helps me a little bit more now.. I'm not going to go over board but doesn't make me feel as bad if Iam over by a little every day, due to my breakfast which is supposed to be good for me... thanks for the input!!
  • aliciagrace89
    aliciagrace89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ugh i go over on mine too! :(
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Yeah, the goal set in the program is quite low, but at least it's a reminder of just how much sugar we intake.

BTW... take a look at the box for that Special K of yours. Count how many times it says 'sugar', 'honey', 'molasses', 'corn syrup', etc. You may be surprised (I stopped when I got to ten.)
  • CjsWifey411
    CjsWifey411 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanx Forensic... I guess I just don't like seeing the "red" numbers... I still try to stay under the goal on here even though at times it seems impossible..

And I was wondering if others were having the same problem or if I was just really doing something wrong...

Again thanx everyone for the input