UK Snacks

Options
Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone had come across any tasty healthy and/or low cal snacks.

I do eat fruit as snacks, we've bought snackajacks to prevent eating biscuits and my partner is eating sunbites instead of normal crisps. We've swapped staple white foods for wholegrain and I'm eating a lot of green veg.

I just wondered if there was anything anyone has come across that is "treat like" and good for you. I'm not sure which fruit/cereal bars are best and nuts are a no go.

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I usually try and choose snacks that pack some protein in.

For cereal bars, I go for 9Bar, Nakd Bars, Eat Natural protein bars, Trek protein flapjacks.
    I also have some protein bars, like Quest or PowerBar.

Other snacks I have are:
    light Babybel cheese
    Greek yoghurt or quark
    Milk
    Munchy Seeds
    Apple with PB2

And today I've been munching on wasabi peas.
  • beckickles
    Options
    Thank you. I was looking for protein rich suggestions.

I'm trying to stay clear of as much processed food as possible but I would just like something in the house to have if I do need to snack. I don't want to be tempted to eat badly because I haven't prepared for the inevitability of feeling peckish :smile:

X
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Jelly is always a good option when I'm trying to save the calories. I usually just buy the ones you make with the crystals or the Hartleys 10cal ones. Yoghurts are good for calcium and easy to grab when you're hungry.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Babybels
    Nakd bars (much cheaper to buy boxes in bulk from their website than buy them in the supermarket by the way)
    Fridge Raiders
    fill a little tupperware pot with plain Greek yoghurt, fromage frais or quark and add berries, nuts and/or powdered flaxseed mixes (you can get these in Aldi now quite cheap).

Boiled eggs or wafer thin ham or turkey straight from the packet are good protein snacks though not exactly "treat like"

I also swear by wrapped biscuits like Penguins, Rocky bars, 2-finger KitKats etc for a chocolate fix as they're only around 100-110 cals so not too difficult to fit into your day.
  • Loz220662
    Loz220662 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Walkers BAKED crisps, much lower in fat & calories than any other on the shelves good flavour too. Also Pretzels are worth a try but can be high in salt. Melba Toast is great at 72 Calories for a pack of 6, can be a good biscuit substitute. Tesco & Sainsburys do a low calorie CHOCOLATE MOUSSE that very good. Hope that helps.
  • pelpelpel
    pelpelpel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Almonds or mini milks- my 30 calorie sweet treat :)
  • beckickles
    Options
    Thank you everyone :smile: x
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I quite like to nuke a few berries in the microwave till the juices start to run and then add some greek yoghurt. that means when I mix it the flavour goes all the way through the yoghurt :smile: If you are feeling particularly decadent then you could grate a bit of dark chocolate over the yoghurt - a small bit of chocolate goes a surprisingly long way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    beckickles wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone had come across any tasty healthy and/or low cal snacks.

I do eat fruit as snacks, we've bought snackajacks to prevent eating biscuits and my partner is eating sunbites instead of normal crisps. We've swapped staple white foods for wholegrain and I'm eating a lot of green veg.

I just wondered if there was anything anyone has come across that is "treat like" and good for you. I'm not sure which fruit/cereal bars are best and nuts are a no go.

Thanks in advance x

Around and under 100 calories
    Quavers
    Popchips - salt and pepper
    Walkers Pops - bacon and melted cheese
    Total 0% greek yogurt and berries (good for protein)
    72% chocolate with cranberries / with salted caramel
    Oreos x2
    McVities Rich Tea x2
    Jaffa Cakes x2
    Mars Ice Cream bars (OK they're 140 calories but they are yum)

• beckickles
    Options
    Brilliant thank you.

Do any of you find that eating processed foods, regardless of calories, has a negative effect on your nutrition or weight loss?

x
  • ancassell
    ancassell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aldi do really nice fruit bars in several flavours, at just under 100 cals each. They're only £1.49 for a pack of six.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I second (third?) Nakd bars, and 9bars. They are so good, although not super low cal. I also really like the weight watchers caramel wafers for a sweet treat. They are around 70 calories (if i remember right) and taste nice. Another yummy treat is cut up strawberries covering in the vanilla with chocolate sprinkles Muller light.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Velvet Crunch crisps at the mo especially the Thai chilli flavour and all the flavours come in at around 80cals. I also get dark choc from Aldi, they do 5 bars in a sleeve and they are about 140cals. I alternate between the chilli, mint and orange/almond varieties and as they are so rich it takes me about 20 mins to finish a bar.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    beckickles wrote: »
    Brilliant thank you.

Do any of you find that eating processed foods, regardless of calories, has a negative effect on your nutrition or weight loss?

x

Nope just calories count with an eye on protein and fat macros and a wide range of vegetables

80% healthy / 20% treats works well as a guidelines

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh I forgot when I can be bothered I melt a little good quality dark chocolate (72%) and dip fresh strawberries in it...then I let them dry ...bloody delish and about 23 cals each
  • redsnapper8
    redsnapper8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    blueberry 0% fage yoghurt (high protein, no fat but some sugar)
    Morrisons 'popped snacks'
    Chicken satay sticks
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with jam/marmite/cottage cheese etc
    Carrot sticks, cucumber and hummus
    Yogurt
    Babybel light
    Apple with peanut butter
    Skinny popcorn
  • lizi3001
    lizi3001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like bounce balls for protein dense treats. They are calorie high (about 170) but really give a bump of energy and taste mmmm!
    Again, cheaper to buy in bulk online
  • beckickles
    Options
    I'm loving these suggestions. Thanks everyone :) x
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For unhealthy snacks I find hoops and crosses good for savoury pangs, and Barney bear cakes for something low cal and cakey.... As long as it fits my calorie allowance zero negative effect.