I want to make sure I'm on the right track. (A weightlifting/strength training question)

Options
Mrsallen6_11
Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
OK, I'll start with the basics; I'm 23, 5' 0", and currently 115 lbs. I was eating around 1200 to 1300 calories per day and exercising (mainly running, zumba, and yoga) 3 to 4 times a week. Now just this past week I decided I didn't just want to lose weight, I also wanted to gain some muscle and strength as well but I don't plan to really bulking (I don't really have the equipment right now to bulk anyways). So I've finally started using my Nike Training Club app again, incorporating that in at least 3 times a week, doing some form of cardio (my regular running, zumba, or yoga) the other three days, and having one rest day for the week but it's not really a full rest day though cause I'm still pretty active. I also do a quick 15 min. body weight (no weights) workout every morning to start my day.

I've notice recently, today specifically, that a lot of people have been posting about weightlifting and strength training, and I've been doing my homework a bit and reading plenty of replies to some of these other threads as well but I wanted to make sure I've done the right thing.

I realized that if I was going to, I guess it would be a recomp (please correct me if I'm wrong about that), I needed to eat a bit more. So I updated my goals on MFP to maintain and it upped my calories to 1500, which I know on my hard exercise days I will most likely (based on my research) meet that goal or should exceed it, and on my light exercise and rest days I'll eat a bit less than that.

Is this correct? Did I make the right choice? Based on my research this should be correct, but I wanted to get help from the MFP Vets/Gurus out there first. I know ya'll will be able to help me better than Google, at least I hope.

Thanks in advance for any replies that you give, good or bad.

Sorry for multiple posts, I just want to make sure I put my question in right place.

~ Kris

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose weight, yes, maintenance is best for you.

However I don't see a lot of muscle gain happening doing only 15min of bodyweight training. Why aren't you using weights?
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options
    That's only in the mornings, I'm sorry I didn't clarify better. In the afternoons I do 30 - 45 minutes of weight exercises (with 5-10 lb weights) on my weight/strength training days.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Depending on the exercise, 5-10 pound weights could be the best place to start, but assuming you're basically healthy and free of injury, they're likely too light for many exercises. My purse weighs about 5 pounds, and my grocery bags always weigh more than 10. Using very light weights isn't going to help you build muscle or gain strength in the long run.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options
    At the moment that's all I have and an 8 lb medicine ball, but this weekend I am planning on buying some heavier plates and a bar.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As others have said 5-10lbs dumbbells are ok to start with but they will soon feel too light. the key thing to building any kind of muscle is progressive overload (lifting a little bit more every day).

working out at home can be a economical way of training if you are prepared to invest some money in equipment. if you prefer to work out at home and you have the room buying a barbell and some plates is a good idea, you don't need to buy loads of plates to start with but as you get stronger can just every now and then buy more. that way you can spread the expenditure.

its worth getting yourself on a good training program rather then just making up a program yourself, something like starting strength is a good place to start as it is relatively simple and focuses on big compound movements.

While your new to lifting you have a short window where re-comping is relatively easy, after that gaining muscle becomes harder and you will need to be in a calorific excess to gain muscle hence the need for bulking and cutting .

As for how many calories to eat the key thing is to know what you maintain at I wouldn't relay on MFP or other online calculators you need to know what you as an individual maintain at, and the only way you will know that is through trial and error. it at a set number of calories for a a month and see if you are gaining or loosing weight and then adjust your calories accordingly until you stabilize. from that you can then make small tweaks in order to gain or loose weight.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options
    @KingRat79‌ Thanks, that was very helpful.
  • faponte76
    Options
    All are good suggestions, however I don't recommend spending allot of money on free weights or dumbbells. But a good set of workout bands. I know there's no advertising here but I've been using a set of bands and I used to lift heavy weights in the gym. But I got fed up with gym costs and always congested, so I went with a home workout regime and the band's. Going on my third month and I have seen better progress and results than working out with weights. Search for bodylastics. They are the best on the market. Small investment for great results.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you want a free weight program at home, you'll need at the very least a barbell, bench, and a squat rack. If you have he money and room for all this equipment, do a beginner free weight routine, like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting, all pro beginner, or Strong Curves.

If you don't have room for the squat rack, consider ditching the weights and go with a body weight program. You Are Your Own Gym, Body By You, or Convict Conditioning are three good books with bodyweight programs. The physical books are useful to buy and keep, because bodyweight programs can be complicated, and you'll need to refer to the books often. YAYOG also has an phone app that goes along with it that people seem to like.

Another thing to consider if you want to work out at home: a suspension trainer, like TRX.