Looking for lowish carb cooks

Options
TracyShing
TracyShing Posts: 48 Member
Looking to add some lowish carb cooks to my friends list. I post daily dinners (almost daily) and would love to see yours too. Eating lowish carb can be challenging. Maybe we can swap ideas and recipes? Friend me if you want to play along.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    a lot of what i make is lower carb (hubby is diabetic). BUT we dont always eat the same thing for dinner (esp if i have leftover from eating out earlier in the day), so what i eat may not always be what he eats.
  • TracyShing
    Options
    That's okay! I'm lowISH carb, not super strict. Just looking for fellow health conscious cooks that lean toward low carb cooking. I love to cook and I love to eat! I also like feeding my body healthy stuff. My challenge is staying creative. I need some help!!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was trying to do lower carbs (100 net carbs or less) for a while but I started to get bored and added some more carbs back in. But I find that the more carbs I eat, the more I crave so I want to try reducing again. Today, looks like I'll come in at about 90 net carbs. One challenge for me when I try to eat lower carbs is eating enough fiber. Would love other friends interested in lower carb eating.
  • TracyShing
    Options
    I have a VitaMix blender and drink whole veggie smoothies at least twice a day. Healthy carbs and tons of fiber. The carbs I try to cut are mostly breads, grains, and rice (though I'm half Chinese so cutting rice almost feels like a sin). I'm not a fanatic, but I seem to lose the most weight when I lower my carbs.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    TracyS so glad you don't juice out the fiber.. it is vital as you know. and having a 1/2 cup of your favorite rice on occasion seems smart vs a total cut.

I found several great websites by motivated LC people..no matter what carb level or food, a ton of free info is out there. as for pastry/bread foods..now with Almond flour,coconut flour and use of Stevia natural sweetener there is a LOT you can eat. Even a 'cornflakes' cereal made with coconut flour and cinnamon.

RULED.ME is a guy who creates TONS of great "Keto" recipe,like "Cake in a Cup" a one portion serving of dense cake in under 3 min, and MANY sites show using bagged shredded cabbage/carrot/ veggie mixes as a "crack slaw" adding meats & other food is fast and easy

see also: www.ketogenicwoman.com and search "Low carb" recipes too of course
    caveman cooking
  • bametels
    Options
    My experience is the same as yours; i.e., I lose more weight when I eat fewer carbs. The breads, grains, sweets just seem to trigger more eating. I have not been able to get into drinking smoothies. I may need to revisit this. I'm trying some other 'grain-like' foods that are higher protein, lower carb. I've tried buckwheat and enjoyed it in some foods but not others. For example, I made a buckwheat casserole with reduced fat sharp cheddar, kale, onion, walnuts, and cayenne pepper. Love it. But I tried making fried 'rice' with buckwheat as a substitute - yuck!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I made these flourless avocado cookies the other night: http://thesmoothielover.com/healthy-avocado-chocolate-cookies/

And they are very moist and tasty! They actually taste more like brownies than cookies. I used bananas instead of the coconut sugar, and semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate (which balanced out the bitterness of the dark cocoa powder pretty well). I got about 12 cookies from my batch at about 55 cal a cookie!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wow, I totally read that title as lowish carb cookies... but, hey, the recipe still kind of fits! Hahaha
  • TracyShing
    Options
    Great advice yall! Thanks!!
  • katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just posted a low carb breakfast bake and I love making stuffed bell peppers the low carb version of course lol.
  • bametels
    Options
    I make crustless quiche all the time which is low carb. I typically eat it for breakfast but often eat if for other meals or as a snack (especially a late night snack). There are so many ways to make it - eggs, egg whites, or both beaten with some almond milk or occasionally skim milk. I often crumble Morningstar Farms veggies sausage patties into it or occasionally some chicken sausage or lean ham. I always include veggies - my favorites are spinach, broccoli, and/or kale and often include onions, sometimes tomato. I like cheese it, but don't always add it. Reduced fat swiss, sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and feta are favorites. Sometimes I'll add some slices of white, red, or sweet potatoes but that brings up the carbs. And then depending on what I put in it, I vary the seasonings - freshly ground black pepper, paprika, cayenne, garlic, etc.
  • TracyShing
    Options
    That sounds great!!! I'll do that for sure! My hubby is an egg fanatic so I'm sure he'd love it too!