Total calorie intake

Options
I was thinking about reducing my daily calorie intake. Do you all think I should manually enter the amount I want to consume per day, or let MFP automatically generate my calorie amount. It seems like it is alot of calories they generated for me.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why not start with MFPs goal and then adjust from there?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do you have an idea as to how many calories you burn in a day?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Give your stats for help. Age, weight, height, and daily lifestyle.

More than likely MFP is about par with what you should be eating.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why do you think you need to change your intake. What is your current intake? What are you stats as listed above?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using MFP's calorie number? If not, I would suggest following it for several weeks before making any changes. (This assumes that you've entered the correct info for it to calculate the current number.)
  • chereedoggett
    chereedoggett Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yea I burn about 800 calories a day. when I work out
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

• chereedoggett
    Options
    I did that when I first started. I really don't eat what MFP allowed me. But it gives me some leeway when I do eat alot during the day. I was going to do it for extra discipline
  • chereedoggett
    Options
    Why do you think you need to change your intake. What is your current intake? What are you stats as listed above?

Well I was going to do it for extra discipline. Thats the only reason.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I did that when I first started. I really don't eat what MFP allowed me. But it gives me some leeway when I do eat alot during the day. I was going to do it for extra discipline

What does MFP give you? And what do you mean by extra discipline?

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yea I burn about 800 calories a day. when I work out
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    They were asking how many total calories you burn in a day, from breathing, talking, standing, walking from one room to the next, etc.

What are you doing, and for how long, to burn 800 calories from exercise? Is that number taken from MFP, a HRM, or the exercise machines?
  • chereedoggett
    Options
    Oh. I really feel dumb. lol. I was talking about my cardio workouts that I get the number from MFP. Cardio sessions lasts about 45min to 60 min. I walk all day long. I work in Corrections so my days are hectic, busy and stressful.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Oh. I really feel dumb. lol. I was talking about my cardio workouts that I get the number from MFP. Cardio sessions lasts about 45min to 60 min. I walk all day long. I work in Corrections so my days are hectic, busy and stressful.

Remember that MFP greatly overestimates the calorie burn of most exercises. 800 calories seems a bit high for that amount of cardio.

A good heart rate monitor would be a bit more accurate :)