Do you skip workouts if you are not feeling well?

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I skip if I have a fever, if I feel weak, or if I have a really bad headache (the kind where you can feel your pulse in your neck and it hurts to breathe... yeah, not conducive to running). I've found that if I just have allergies or a cold, running helps get things moving and cleared out faster. I picked up a cold from my family when I went home for Christmas, but I ran through it and cleared it out in a week, whereas they were sick for three weeks!
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I will usually still try to get out there but maybe do a lighter workout (a shorter run, etc.). If you're exercising and feel like you're going to die, dial it back a notch!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No, not really from being sick but I do take my rest day at random, that sort of gives me a floating sick day!

My allergies liked to killed me about 2 weeks ago but somehow I managed to workout with tissue and all :) Not really sure why, I guess I didn't think of it as being sick. I figure if I can workout through cramps then there is not much else that should be able to take me down.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I work out in a gym most of the time, so if I'm sick with something I could pass along to someone else, I definitely skip. But working out when I'm PMSing or just under the weather usually perks me up, so I try not to skip unless I have to.
  • drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I generally base it on where I'm not feeling well. If it's above my neck (so like sinuses or a runny nose or something) I suck it up and hit the gym, but if it's below my neck (really bad chest congestion, puking, etc.) then I stay home. Seems to work pretty well for me!
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I skip even when I'm well

Funny!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If you think you should rest you probably should
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    ( my allergies have went crazy since Saturday . as soon as it got a little warmer here in jersey , I felt bad really fast. My doctor predicted that this allergy season will be very bad in the north east )

I hope your doctor's wrong about that, but my allergies are on his side right now.

• eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I skip when I'm sick, however part of that is about 95% of the time when I'm sick it is either bronchitis or pneumonia with asthma complications. Can't exercise if I can't breathe. I will also skip if I have a fever or am experiencing extreme fatigue (not just feeling lazy but true severe fatigue which doctors think is likely linked to my chemo)
  • AushaDahh
    Options
    Yup I skip.
    A couple days ago I felt like death! I was way sore, dizzy, and did even wanna eat anything! But the next day I picked right back up and did what I had to do!
    Id for sure listen to your body. Hope you feel better! (:
  • oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is. Sometimes I workout intentionally and gently because it helps my immune system.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Most of the time yes. If I honestly cant handle it, id rather rest and get the most out of it when im recovered and feeling well. Other times I do stretching like restorative yoga because its low impact and it really makes me feel better. :)
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    if its just a cough I would still go. I always wipe down the machines before & after. other then that I would try to do light yoga if its more than a cough. Yoga + green smoothies= happy cold days :p lol
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have some panadol and wait half an hour. If I feel better, I work out, and if not, I skip it.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes, my health will always come first. No sense in making myself feel worse. Assuming you're eating at a deficit, you'll still be on track. Feel better :)
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If it's the neck down I skip no questions asked. Neck up I may of may to skip depending on how I feel, but if I do work out it's at a lower intensity.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Depends
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Symptoms from the neck up: congestion, runny nose, itchy/watery eyes, sore throat, cough, sneezing (aka: typical cold or allergy)… I push through. Find that I actually feel better when I'm working out.
    Symptoms from the neck down: body aches (not DOMS), nausea (aka: flu or worse)… rest.
    But that's just me. Listen to your body and do what it right for you.
  • doprin
    doprin Posts: 1
    Options
    i use to do that, but recently due to my over passion to sports i stopped doing that. now i play sports and go to work out even if i don't feel good. the result was shocking for because when i ever i feel pain or cold and i go to workout i return better and i heal faster. working out and sports are now my healing technique :)
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Symptoms from the neck up: congestion, runny nose, itchy/watery eyes, sore throat, cough, sneezing (aka: typical cold or allergy)… I push through. Find that I actually feel better when I'm working out.
    Symptoms from the neck down: body aches (not DOMS), nausea (aka: flu or worse)… rest.
    But that's just me. Listen to your body and do what it right for you.

Was just about to say the same as this. Anything from neck up I normally just push through, unless it is a killer migraine.
    Below the neck, excluding general soreness from working out, I rest and see if it passes.

If you body is trying to fight off some sort of 24 hour bug or the like, I generally find it best to let it doe its thing instead of also expecting it to burn loads of energy for a work out. Your workout wont be the best and your body will take longer to fight off the bug.

Your not going to lose any progress if you give you body an extra rest day.