spinning class

Options
Thinking about take a spin class! Never taken one before. What to expect? Intensity level? Is it fun with music?

Replies

• marieboston
    marieboston Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE spin and would definitely recommend going. Expect to work hard. You can technically take it easy if you want to (less resistance, less speed) but ultimately you went to the gym and you are taking a class to get workout - so get your workout! I will caveat and say that you might need to take a few classes with different instructors until you find what works for you. Instructors have different teaching styles, music, attitudes, etc but I definitely would recommend sticking with it for a couple of sessions and seeing if you like it. It's an excellent workout.
  • VHANEW
    VHANEW Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like spin but I would suggest going about 10 minutes early and have the instructor set up your bike for you. They will adjust height of seat, handle bars and teach you how to adjust the difficulty as you spin. Adjustments are very important in spin as it is very intense workout and you don't want to get hurt. Secondly, ask the teacher to show you how to sit properly as you don't want to hurt your tailbone. Enjoy!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the above comments, try to get there a few minutes early on your first class. Ask the instructor to help you set up the bike. I had a retired racer help me set up mine and it made a big difference.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Do it! So fun! The intensity level is whatever you want it to be, which is why it's great for beginners as well as hard-core cyclists. Bring a water bottle and a towel to mop your sweat with. When you go in, just let the instructor know it's your first time and they will help you adjust your seat to the correct height (it should line up with your hip bone when standing next to it). Some spin classes have little computers (looks like an ipod) on the bikes that tell you your RPM (revolutions per minute) and resistance level but if you're taking class at a regular gym they typically don't, and just have a resistance knob. The instructor will tell you when to turn the knob but of course you don't have to. They won't yell at you. :) Expect a sore bum the next day but that goes away after a few times, promise. Enjoy!
  • twebster2
    twebster2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks all of you for the info! I really appreciate. Ill give it a try and comment back here!
  • bettina274
    bettina274 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posts. I started a few years ago and just love it, I guess that's why I selected Spin Junkie as my name, lol.

The only other thing I would highle recommend is to get some spin shoes that click into the pedals, makes it much easier. You can get them for as little as maybe 60$, definitely worth it!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    bettina274 wrote: »
    Agree with the other posts. I started a few years ago and just love it, I guess that's why I selected Spin Junkie as my name, lol.

The only other thing I would highle recommend is to get some spin shoes that click into the pedals, makes it much easier. You can get them for as little as maybe 60$, definitely worth it!

Some cycling shorts with a chamois will help with the sore rear end too. If like me, you don't want to wear spandex in public at this point in your weight loss, get cycling briefs with a chamois. They go under regular shorts.
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a lot of fun! Prepare to sweat like crazy though. It's the first class I've ever been to where people are literally dripping sweat onto the floor. *Bring a towel!* A water bottle is a must as well. The only other thing that I'd recommend is to be careful when standing up while using the pedals (which is a move they have you do a lot). I pulled something in my knee once because I didn't have the timing just right and my knee was kinda funky for a while. It's good now though, and I still enjoy spinning. Definitely one of the more intense cardio workouts out there, which caught me by surprise!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I love spin!
    Be aware that the first couple of times, your butt bones are going to HURT. It gets better. i also remember my legs just aching the first couple of times, to where I had to take ibuprofen to get to sleep. That might have been because I was doubling up with crossfit at the time, though. (Like going to crossfit in the morning and then spin at night in the same day.)
    The only other thing that I'd recommend is to be careful when standing up while using the pedals (which is a move they have you do a lot). I pulled something in my knee once because I didn't have the timing just right and my knee was kinda funky for a while.

The second time I ever went to spin, my knee just buckled because I was trying to go too fast while out of the saddle and I fell. Like, off the bike, onto the floor... it was embarrassing. But luckily it was just my ego that was wounded, I didn't get hurt at all.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    BRING extra water... and a towel... my daughter took a spin class once... I laughed soo hard... she lasted almost a 1/2 hour (she was 14 at the time)... sh ecomes out of there and says... it was sooo hard it gave her a nose bleed... she had me get rid of her all terrain bicycle in favour of a 40 lb fat tire cruiser with a 3 lb saddle... now she absolutely refuses to break a sweat lest she bleed to death through her nose LOL :p
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It is worth a try because some love it as stated above. I personally hate it, by far my least favorite class. I have tried 3 times at 2 different places to see if I would learn to like it. It hurts my bum, and I find it boring despite good music and instructors.
  • mshessle
    mshessle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's probably the toughest group class, but if you can handle it, it's definitely worth it. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months going about 4-5 times a week. You will sweat like crazyyyy. Some can handle it, some can't. You can go at a slower speed with less resistance at first until you get used to it. You might as well at least try it and see how you like it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I Spin 2 or 3 times a week and have done so for 2 years.

I always wear padded shorts and insert a removable pad in there too. You can buy such a thing or stick a thick feminine pad on the outerside crotch part of your underwear. I have to be comfortable!

Bring water, a cold/wet towel if you can get one, and dress as light as possible. A lot of instructors turn the lights off so you can get away with a sports bra and booty shorts even if you don't have a perfect body. I squash into kiddie shorts because they're cheaper.

I know they say you can't spot reduce, but I lost 7 inches from each thigh doing Spin!

Also - I got my Spinning cleats for $8 on ebay and liked them so much, I bought 2 pairs. Sometimes I Spin on Sundays and this way I can keep a pair at home and one at work. You don't have to spend a lot on the special shoes.
  • meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I spin at least twice a week right now. Give it at least three times before you decide whether or not to give it up. You will work hard, but the results are totally worth it. I push myself more in a spin class more than other types of workouts because you can totally manipulate the difficulty with the bike.

If you end up liking it, try to invest in the spin shoes. It is a completely different ride and you work even better. I bought mine on clearance and it was the BEST birthday present I gave myself.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my favorite workout. I get up at 4am 5 days a week just to go. I've lost 35 lbs in the past 5 months. All good advice. You want to sit far back in the seat, nearly on your thighs. And you will be sore. The second day will be the worst. But if you can make it through three classes your behind won't hurt anymore.

Make sure to strap in tightly. If you like the class definitely get spin shoes, they are absolutely important for anyone spinning more than once a week. I would go to a store to get a correct fit.

Definitely try it! It's a hard workout but exhilarating when your done.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. Great workout to compliment other exercises. I don't think padded shorts are necessary but step-in cleats are. Much more enjoyable with them. Try a class with regular shoes (your stiffest soles) if you don't have them, then buy some cycling shoes if you like it.
  • KaylaRusso90
    KaylaRusso90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love spin class, but if you are very short like I am be careful because some of the bikes do no go low enough for you to safely sit and pedal.One time I went to a class and the instructor told me that I was too short and if I wanted to stay for the class I was going to have to stand and pedal the whole class. I stayed but I didn't get the same workout as I would have, had I been able to properly use the bike. I go to LA Fitness and a few of the gyms have different bikes and those can definitely play a role in how much you like the class. Different bodies like different bikes.
  • twebster2
    twebster2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I took the clas and loved it! It was tough at first but my legs began to get used to it. And in terms of sweat!? I felt like i just got out of a pool, but it felt amazing. Thanks so much to you all for encouragement. Ill be going back :smiley:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I am taking spin. The first time I went, a couple weeks ago, I described it later as 55 minutes of pure hell. LOL. I am 90 lbs overweight and have not been on my bike since last September...my butt hurt too! I went for the 4th time the other day and I noticed my butt hurt a little less. Definitely take a hand towel and large water bottle. You do not have to absolutely keep up with everyone right away. Just push yourself a little more beyond your comfort zone each time.

Make sure you are well hydrated.
  • harrisdeutsch
    harrisdeutsch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, and have been doing spin for about 18 months. The MFP app seems to over estimate calories burned and I have to watch out to not over eat since I started to lap swim (2 months ago) and indoor spin classes. I lost 40 pounds in 3 years but the last 4 months my weigh has crept up 10-12 pounds. Back to basics...