Frustrated!

Options
So I looked at my "progress" thus far. The first week I lost 4 pounds, but in the past 36 days (slightly over 5 weeks) I have lost only 3.4 pounds. It takes me roughtly 12-15 days to lose a pound. Okay, I know that's 1/2 pound a week, but geez, really? I don't "cheat". It seems like a whole lot of effort with very little reward. I am happy for everyone experiencing better results, but when I see a post that someone has lost 20+ pounds since January, blah blah, it makes me feel like more of a failure! I am 5'3" and currently 157.6 pounds, so I've got a ways to go to be in a healthy range. I guess when my mother in law, aged 70, can lose 30 pounds in 3 months and my hairdresser can do the same (although she's younger) it's hard to be real excited about plodding along. Let's face it, a 3 pound weight loss doesn't look any different on me. So in the past 36 days I've given up fried chicken and apple pie and have felt DEPRIVED most of the time and feel like a failure. The dr. put me on some Metformin back in January to help with insulin spikes, but not thinking that did me any good whatsoever. What the heck. I so wanted to look better in a pair of shorts for my trip to the beach in a couple of weeks, which is why I've been working so hard. Don't feel any better physically, don't feel any better emotionally, in fact I feel worse. Oh well.

Replies

• jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Whoa. Slow down, deep breaths. Half a pound a week is actually really good and sustainable. If you want to try to up it to a pound a week, adjust your MFP settings and see what it says regarding calories. You don't mention any exercise?

You have to stop comparing yourself to everyone else. I tone up/gain muscle very easily. It's just who I am. Not everyone loses weight at the same rate. It's impossible. And you don't have to give up fried chicken and apple pie - just be smart about your food choices and eat at a calorie deficit.

You are not a failure.
  • eoc99
    eoc99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've found that getting more exercise in is the best way to help get the weight off. I'm 61 & started taking ballet (old ladies ballet, lol) & am amazed at the effect it has on the scale. I tend to be on the lazy side & having a set time to go to class 3x a week is really helping
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey hun half a pound a week is an achievement, i am losing my weight slowly too, mainly through choice, i want to give my skin a chance to catch up with the smaller me, so i dont end up too saggy, and also, i need to make this choice for the rest of my life, i lose about .5lbs a week too, and i am chuffed to bits :) i am NEVER deprived, look at my diary lol! and because you are a shortie like me, then your weight loss does make a difference to the way you look.
    How about measuring yourself as well as weighing, as i have shrunk, but sometimes the scales dont reflect it.
    Dont compare yourself to others, everyone is different, dont lose hope, remember this, it didnt take a couple of weeks to put it on, so it isnt going to come off over night.
    Add me if you want some support, its not about getting to your goal in a month, its about getting there over time, and staying there for the rest of your life.
    You are doing great, be proud x
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm already set for 1.5 or 2 pounds a week (I think) ... 1200 calories a day. Can't go any lower than that. Just doesn't seem to be working that well for me. I exercise moderately (walking) and am a little restricted due to recovering from a foot injury. Not making excuses and I suppose if that 1/2 pound a week turned into 26 pounds lost in an entire year, I'd be happy. But a considerable amount of sacrifice and hard work for what most others can accomplish a whole lot faster.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    "Most others" can not accomplish weight loss a whole lot faster. Most people quit eventually and don't lose anything. Most people never even really try. You are way ahead of "most" losing 1/2 lb per week, don't sell yourself short!

Having said that, if you are eating 1200 cals but not losing as much as you should be, you might be logging incorrectly and are actually eating more than you think. Read the "Logging 101" sticky (and the other stickies at the top of the different forums for that matter) for some great tips. Often, the issue is choosing incorrect entries in the database or using cups to measure dry ingredients which can be misleading.

Hang in there :drinker:
  • csteuter
    Options
    Thank you ... I see the nurse practitioner tomorrow so I'll discuss this with her. I'm spending a lot of money on a weight loss management physician group, which I think is also fueling my frustration. The analytical side of me is saying "Okay you've spent $500 on dr. visits and lost 7 pounds. That's $71 a pound." But I am sure some type of exercise that doesn't aggravate my foot would improve my mood. I think I'm ditching the whole medical intervention thing after tomorrow's visit. I get more encouragement here on MFP anyway!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Please be patient, half a pound a week is a sustainable loss and you will not 'burn out' like those others you are quoting. You are only about 15 lbs over your BMI healthy range so half a pound a week is sensible. I am in a similar position to you and despite sticking to 1300 average per day and working out EVERYDAY I have only lost 14 lbs since 1st Jan. This is good for me. It takes time but you are getting there. Don't judge yourself by other peoples goals and success. Look at what you are achieving.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am 48, 5'2" and was at 171 lbs, now down to 162 lbs in 5-6 weeks. I had to increase my calories from 1200 to 1300-1350 per day in order to start losing more than half a pound per week.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    jsobole wrote: »
    Whoa. Slow down, deep breaths. Half a pound a week is actually really good and sustainable. If you want to try to up it to a pound a week, adjust your MFP settings and see what it says regarding calories. You don't mention any exercise?

You have to stop comparing yourself to everyone else. I tone up/gain muscle very easily. It's just who I am. Not everyone loses weight at the same rate. It's impossible. And you don't have to give up fried chicken and apple pie - just be smart about your food choices and eat at a calorie deficit.

You are not a failure.

This. 1/2 a pound a week is great! That's the rate I lose. I've lost 87 pounds. Stop comparing yourself to others. All it will do is make you frustrated and bitter. Look at and celebrate your successes.

If you are feeling deprived, you are doing something wrong. Make sure you are fitting in the foods that you love. If you love apple pie, find a way to fit in a small slice once in a while. Fried chicken as well. If you are eliminating all the foods you love, of course you will feel deprived and sad!!! It's also a recipe for failure. Whatever you do to lose weight must be sustainable. Are you willing to give up apple pie and fried chicken for the rest of your life? If not, fit it in!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    I'm already set for 1.5 or 2 pounds a week (I think) ... 1200 calories a day. Can't go any lower than that. Just doesn't seem to be working that well for me. I exercise moderately (walking) and am a little restricted due to recovering from a foot injury. Not making excuses and I suppose if that 1/2 pound a week turned into 26 pounds lost in an entire year, I'd be happy. But a considerable amount of sacrifice and hard work for what most others can accomplish a whole lot faster.

Curios do you use a food scale?? I bet you don't use one, seeing you eat "1200", get a food scale and I weigh all solid foods and measure liquids. Plus slow and steady is the way you go.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try looking at a different goal like walking or jogging a certain distance or skipping some snack or something for a period of time. When you reach that goal you will feel great and then looking at the scale see the benefit. Also maybe measure inches lost rather than lbs. You can slim down and weigh close to the same.
  • kp3868
    kp3868 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your height and weight will be a factor in how much energy you burn. The more you weigh, the more energy it takes to move or maintain your body, therefore you will burn more calories. A BMR for a typical 25 year-old, 130 lb, 5' 2" female is approxiamtely 1400 calories. A 25 year-old man who is 6 ft, 200lbs BMR is approximately 2060 calories. A substancial difference. We all know that 3500 calories is 1lb of fat. We contain about 2lbs of glycol and 8lbs of water which our body uses first as fuel. That's why the first 10lbs usually goes pretty fast. In order to shift your body into burning fat you have to balance Caloric intake. I'm a post bariatric patient who has lost 85lbs and still have to to reach goal. It's difficult. Per my physician im at about 600/900 calories a day of lean protein, fruits veggies and protein shakes. You have to consume the protein in order to protect your body from muscle loss. Muscle aids in burning fat! It's a long road. I gained about 10lbs over the holidays. I went back to the dr February 25th and he was so disappointed! ! Since then I'm down 13lbs. 10 of which we know was water/glycol so my fat loss was about 3lbs! Don't give up you can do it! Numbers on the scale aren't every. You may need to measure in inches when your not loosing weight your body mass is most likely still changing!
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ivan completely relate to what you are saying intend to lose slowly too but I've come to be thankful for every pound I lose any shift down when it comes to the scale is better than up! I recently Chavez my settings on the mfp app and although I am given less calories now that seems to have made a difference for me and I am starting to see progress.
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So sorry for all the typos it should say I can not Ivan and that I recently changed my settings clearly o need some more caffeine

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lose 1/2 pound a week consistently. Well done so far OP.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others. I'm obese and I know a lot of people in the same boat as me who would be at their goal weight by now. It's been almost 3 years and I've only lost like 30 pounds. Before, thinking about this slow of a loss would have me crying and feeling like I wanted to give up. After having my son (who's going to be 3 in June), something changed with me mentally. Now I'm patient with myself and even liking things about my body that I previously would cry about. I'm not allowing myself to give up this time and however long it takes to lose this weight is how long it takes. I didn't gain it in a year so I'm not expecting to lose it in a year.

The way you worded your post is the way I used to think before - frustrated. It wasn't until I changed mentally (it was like an epiphany) that things started to fall into place. You might not be there yet, but you will be...just give it time.
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, I sound like one of those people you mentioned whose lost 20+ since jan, but I am also a lot taller than you (6ft) and it takes a lot more weight loss to actually notice any difference than on someone smaller than me. I had to lose about 16 pounds before I even noticed let alone anyone else. You'll get there just keep going, all of those 0.5 pounds will soon add up.
  • MrsBennefield
    MrsBennefield Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    Thank you ... I see the nurse practitioner tomorrow so I'll discuss this with her. I'm spending a lot of money on a weight loss management physician group, which I think is also fueling my frustration. The analytical side of me is saying "Okay you've spent $500 on dr. visits and lost 7 pounds. That's $71 a pound." But I am sure some type of exercise that doesn't aggravate my foot would improve my mood. I think I'm ditching the whole medical intervention thing after tomorrow's visit. I get more encouragement here on MFP anyway!

Have you tried swimming for less stress on the foot? I'm losing about the same, 1/2 to 1 lb per week. What frustrates me is when I show a 1/2 lb loss for the week and 2 days later I weigh 4 lbs more. Lol! Do you retain water? I think my sodium intake could be and should be less and I could do much better on drinking water.
  • csteuter
    Options
    Good question ... I'm not sure about retaining water. Swimming would be good for my foot, but I don't have access to a pool, other than buying a gym membership. I have not historically been very good about using the gym membership, having joined and dropped about 4 times. It seems absurd that a couple of weeks of hard work means you drop 1/2 pound or maybe a pound (if I'm lucky). But let me eat something that takes me 300-400 calories over goal for a day on the weekend ... up 2 pounds. I certainly didn't eat 7000 extra calories over the weekend! The math only makes sense one way - the way that puts you at a disadvantage.
    :\