Bikram Yoga Question

Options
Hello everyone!

Groupon has a great deal for certified Bikram Yoga classes in my town. I'm getting 10 classes for a pretty cool deal. I will need to use all the classes within 45 days of activation. And I have until July to activate my Groupon.

I am currently exercising using Ripped in 30. I completed 30 day shred very recently and have seen great results! I am wondering if Bikram Yoga is worth my time- the class runs for 90 mins. If I were to sign up, I would probably go twice a week (can't do more because I have a hectic job on weekdays and I have other things to do on weekends). The last time I did Yoga was probably 10-12 years back, when I was still in school. Of course, I have put on tons of weight since then. :) So, my question is, is Bikram Yoga worth my time? I usually like my exercises to be short & sweet, with a lot of calorie burn. For the record, I don't really enjoy exercising much. From what I know about Bikram Yoga, the calorie burn is not that high...you do sweat a lot- but that's got a lot to do with the high temp of the room. I want something that will help me lose weight and tone up and I like JM DVDs because of this reason. Plus I can do them whenever I want to, even if it's late night.

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts. Thanks. :)

Replies

• Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it! There's nothing like it... you come out feeling like a different person. It's difficult but do-able, and gets easier with time. You feel so relaxed afterward. I used to do it in Atlanta but haven't found a studio here in Mississippi. I don't have any advice on the number of calories burned, so I would wear a heart rate monitor if you go so you will know for the future. I would expect that it's a high number though!
  • midkiffsteph
    Options
    I too like the calorie burn! However, I started adding in purre bar a few times a week (less of a cardio/calorie burn-but still VERY intense). I am convinced that there is no one right or wrong way and no one exact way will help you lose weight fastest. There's no magic bullet and it's GOOD to keep changing up your routine and keep your body/muscles guessing. That way you won't plateau. I say GO FOR IT! I've never done Bikram specifically but I've taken some pretty tough yoga classes, it's not a walk in the park if you're really working it!
  • innerspiraling
    innerspiraling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you've never done Bikram before, I would try it before you sign up for 10 classes. In my experience, it is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of yoga. I personally can't take the hot room - it's hard for me to breathe (I have asthma).
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow, don't kid yourself... you can burn quite a bit in bikram! On top of that, yoga works EVERY muscle in your body, not just the major muscle groups. You will work the 600 plus muscles in your entire being. The strength and stamina from bikram is unlike what you will see in any other sport or activity. I practice yoga daily and swear by it. Not only are there physical benefits, but the psychological benefits are incredible as well. I would give it a try. Or perhaps even call the studio and ask if you can try out a complimentary class.
  • Pkostic
    Pkostic Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know where you are getting your information on the calories burned? In a 90 min class I burn 900 calories. Anyway, I think you should atleast give it a try, it is very good for your body's systems (endocrine, digestive, etc) and it most definitely gets your heart rate up. There are times when my heart is pounding faster during Yoga than when I run. I think it is a good addition to any workout regimen!
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone! I think I'm gonna sign up for it :) I agree that it's a different form of exercise. And to tell you the truth, my weight loss is a little slow currently. Maybe this will give my body the needed change!

I have done a lot of Bikram Yoga poses in previous years. So I'm hopeful that it will help me pull through the classes :P The city I grew up in India is where Bikram Yoga started originally.
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    I don't know where you are getting your information on the calories burned? In a 90 min class I burn 900 calories. Anyway, I think you should atleast give it a try, it is very good for your body's systems (endocrine, digestive, etc) and it most definitely gets your heart rate up. There are times when my heart is pounding faster during Yoga than when I run. I think it is a good addition to any workout regimen!

I read a lot of posts here at MFP where people say that Yoga proponents tell/believe that 900+ calories are burned, but in reality it might be around 400-600, depending upon the body type. Just what I read- I haven't done 90 mins of the class, so I don't know for sure. Good for you if you burn 900! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree it is a love or hate kind of thing. I am always cold, so I enjoy the heat. But it isn't for everyone. I don't think you burn 900 calories either...that seems rather high. You do some intense moves, but a lot of it is standing still or on the ground.

Still, its a good change of pace and something I do once a week in addition to my normal strength training routine and Crossfit.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hate every moment of being in the hot room, but I've been going regularly since the first week of February, because I feel amazing afterwards!

After 3 months of struggling with a severe ankle sprain, I walked out of class without pain for the first time in months!

A challenge everyone should try, it is really fantastic.

GG
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Shoot...I sweat during regular room temperature room Yoga!! Why, because you are moving, working, and stretching every muscle in your body!! You build up so many muscles in Yoga that will be beneficial to all other exercise and daily activity that is a wonder.

I've been trying to do Yoga at least once a week to balance out the running and other physical activity. It's an amazing combination of stretching and work that I'm always leaving smiling. Plus being able to bend that extra half a millimeter that I couldn't before class always feel like an accomplishment. Soon I will be a pretzel too :)
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just started doing "hot yoga" last week. Not exactly bikram, but close. I've gone twice and I have to say I love it already. It is a serious challenge for me as I haven't done much yoga in my life. Plus that heat really gets to you after so long. But even at my 2nd class I could feel I was doing better than the first, and I was able to go right to the end without taking a break. When you've finished the class you really do feel you've achieved something. I've signed up for a month and I'm looking forward to seeing the results at the end! I think I'm going to be a yoga convert after a month. :)