Breakfast ideas

Options
Hey, everyone. I just started here. This morning I typed in what I was having for breakfast, and it came up as being 27 carbs (I'm on a low-carb eating plan, post-gastric sleeve surgery, so this is about half the carbs I would eat in a whole day. Way too many for one meal!) So I was wondering, what are some of your go-to breakfasts that are high in protein and low in carbs? I work in the mornings, four days a week, so I need things that are going to be quick and easy!

Replies

• jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    eggs (if you can do hard-boiled but i personally don't like those) - scrambled with diced veggies or salsa on-top. or if i can't cook, low-sodium almonds (count out the portion amount) and an apple or 1/2 grapefruit. :)
  • jlong78
    jlong78 Posts: 1
    Options
    For breakfast I have smoked salmon with scrambled egg or egg cups ( eggs cracked into a Yorkshire pudding tin which has been layered with procuttio ham) delicious
  • marciaoliver2015
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, ham or bacon in it. Awesome. With tangerine.
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    multi grain english muffin with a little peanut butter, some almond milk..part of a banana..yummy and filled me up
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I made huevos rancheros for breakfast this morning. 21 carbs, 36 grams of protein, and only a little over 400 calories. It wasn't the fastest meal to make, but it was DELICIOUS.
  • ericjhliu
    Options
    You want someone high in protein and low in carbs and easy to make and good for on the go. That's hard because usually the convenience of breakfast is that it is made portable by wrapping it in some sort of carb (bread, tortilla etc). So for a high protein ready to go breakfast, I suggest making it the night before and simply reheating it in the morning and taking it with you. One of my favorites is an omelette/scramble. Each serving is 2 eggwhites, 1 egg (with yolk), 1 slice reduced fat pepperjack cheese, onions, bellpeppers, zucchini, and some chopped up turkey sausage links (the precooked variety). I just sautee the veggies and chopped sausage and when it's all nice and softened (the veggies), I add the eggs (I also like to add some fresh herbs like basil or dill or a bit of taragon) and scramble it all up. I tear up the slice of cheese and add it at the end and put it all in a microwaveable container. I usually make a few of these and it's about 300 cals per serving.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    This morning I had pb oatmeal with blueberries
  • katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I posted a cauliflower breakfast bake that is low carb, and also I love doing omelettes and veggie egg scramble bowls. Hope this helps! Good luck on your weight loss! :)
  • nancypinedaf
    nancypinedaf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to have greek yogurt with walnuts, blueberries,1 kiwi 1 small banana. Most of the time is eggs with chicken/vegetables like mentioned above.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Turkey, chicken, pork- doesn't matter really. You sometimes have to throw out "breakfast" in your mind because it usually means carbs-- oatmeal, toast, banana= carbs. Greek yogurt is a good protein source but watch the sugar. If you can eat it plain or with cinnamon or just a little bit of low sugar or no sugar jam it could work. Breakfast can be anything you want it to be. Add any meat you want to scrambled eggs, or have some cottage cheese and a handful of almonds.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeved too. Here are some of the things that I eat for breakfast.
    Over easy egg with green chili, salsa and avocado
    a0pj5tkq96um.jpg
    Over easy egg with sautéed kale, onion, bacon and bell pepper
    5x01itmj8owm.jpg
    4min egg with sweet potato hash and veggies
    qbmj5uhvfz0p.jpg
    Egg whites scrambled with mushrooms, onions, zucchini topped with feta and avocado
    jhz6ivbj808o.jpg
    Sautéed kale, peppers, bacon and onions topped with a sunny side up egg
    2xopuecllqjm.jpg
    Egg white omelette with veggies topped avocado and nutritional yeast.
    vyou7mp1h3z7.jpg
  • jeaniemac73
    jeaniemac73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Scoobys breakfast egg veggie hash super quick ad

6 egg whites
    1 cup (140g) mixed frozen vegetables
    2 (8g) teaspoons olive oil
    no salt seasoning

retrieved from
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/2011/12/26/healthy-egg-hash/
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Baked scotch eggs? Hard boiled egg wrapped in sweet Italian sausage (I get the Jennie-O pack with 5 uncooked 3.9 oz (approx) links; one link per egg.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

230 calories (sausage, 160 calories; egg, 70 calories) Definitely portable.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Baked scotch eggs? Hard boiled egg wrapped in sweet Italian sausage (I get the Jennie-O pack with 5 uncooked 3.9 oz (approx) links; one link per egg.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

230 calories (sausage, 160 calories; egg, 70 calories) Definitely portable.

I freaking love scotch eggs!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have to be at work early and I am not a morning person, so every minute counts and no way I am cooking... Sometimes I have greek yougurt with frozen berries and maybe a table spoon of cereal or few nuts. Sometimes just some hot green tea with lemon to go. Often I just skip breakfast.
  • xrayspec16
    Options
    This is amazing thanks for posting this.

• nancypinedaf
    Options
    Never skip breakfast, your body needs the energy and it's necessary to improve your metabolism. If you don't have time or don't like it have something ready the night before...
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    I have to be at work early and I am not a morning person, so every minute counts and no way I am cooking... Sometimes I have greek yougurt with frozen berries and maybe a table spoon of cereal or few nuts. Sometimes just some hot green tea with lemon to go. Often I just skip breakfast.
  • nancypinedaf
    Options
    Keep in mind that fruit = sugar = carbs. Don't avoid them because of it. Be selective or have a variation.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Egg "muffins". Spray a muffin tin well. Chop any veggies, meat, cheese you like and add to the mufffin tin. Top with scrambled eggs(or whites) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 min. You can make enough for the whole week and store them in the fridge. Just microwave a few seconds to warm.
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    katrinapri wrote: »
    I posted a cauliflower breakfast bake that is low carb, and also I love doing omelettes and veggie egg scramble bowls. Hope this helps! Good luck on your weight loss! :)

Please share your recipe. It sounds great.