Insanity - yes I've read other posts

Options
So, at the moment I can not afford an HRM moniter (and I couldn't find one at Walmrt -__-) on that note!

I am starting insanity today and want to know what I should log it as to get the closest calories. I've been doing my research on this site and other fitness sites and people are ranging from 200-800 calories? So I am confused.

I am 5'4 and am about 133 lbs.

Please let me know if you guys know the average calories I might burn!

Replies

• road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Before I bought my HRM monitor I logged it as High Impact Aerobics, and then one day I got brave and took my pulse during the break for 10 secs then multiplied that by 6 and I usually came up with anywhere between 138 - 156 depending on what I had just completed. That may not be the bestist (lol) way of doing it but at least I knew an estimate of my heart rate. Then I just googled something like calories burned by heart rate or whatevs and I got a round about figure. I did that every so often because it was a pain in the arss.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 150 lbs. I burn around 650 calories doing an Insanity workout
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same height and weight as you and I was burning roughly 300 calories for the Month 1 workouts and 400 - 450 for the Month 2 workouts. I used a Polar FT7 HRM so I consider these levels to be accurate.

I was pushing myself and rarely took breaks so I was disappointed in my calories burn as compared to other who are burning 700 - 800 calories for these workouts. The lower your body weight, the fewer calories you are going to burn and the lower your resting heart rate is the harder you have to work to get it to a rate that will burn the calories. Frustrating. :explode:
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I haven't done insanity (just looks like a great way to get injured to me), but it looks similar to some of the hair-brained drills my basketball coaches had us doing in high school; so I'd say it depends on effort. If you're really pushing yourself- like almost puking, exhausted-can-barely stand at the end, you're gonna be on the higher range. If you're just going through the motions, you'll be at the lower end.
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I dont have a HRM either, I log it as either aerobics high impact, or circuit, or calisthenics DEPENDING on what workout I did that day, but I have GOT to get a HRM thats the only way to be accurate, especially with a workout like this I bet!
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4" and 137 so your numbers could be close to mine, assuming we push ourselves to the same degree? SO PUSH HARD!!!

Month 1 dvd's vary depending on which one (Pure cardio is the lowest burn, cardio power and resistance is the highest) - but they all hover around 400 cals

Month 2 dvd's are way higher bc of the extra 10 mins - i burn about 500 on the lowest (max cardio conditioning) and 600 on the highest (max interval circuit)

I have never done the recovery workouts so I can't help you there :)
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    When I did it I was averaging about 4-500 calories per workout and I'm 5'1" and I was about 120 back then. I have a Polar FT60 to track my calorie burn. Everybody is different and it depends on how hard you are pushing yourself throughout the workout as well. So I would just search the database for the workout and use that until you can get a HRM, because whatever online database or calculator you use it's not going to give you an accurate reading.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I will do about 375 calories then!