how to reduce body fat?

Options
I got measured and i have 26.4% of body fat, I was stunned i didnt know it was so bad. I weigh 146lbs. What are methods to lose body fat at that %age? Cardio or Weights?

Im now doing HIIT and Spinning once a week. I'm also weight lifting twice a week....But still 26.4% is high! I will monitor and check again in a month.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    eat at a calorie deficit with lots of protein (typically see 0.5-0.8g/lb bw suggested), lift weights to help preserve muscle mass while you lose. Cardio is great too to improve fitness levels and burn extra calories for a bigger deficit.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    eat at a calorie deficit with lots of protein (typically see 0.5-0.8g/lb bw suggested), lift weights to help preserve muscle mass while you lose. Cardio is great too to improve fitness levels and burn extra calories for a bigger deficit.

Yep.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »

Yep.

Yep Yep

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    26.4% is not particularly high for a female. It's actually pretty good, IMO.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    I got measured and i have 26.4% of body fat, I was stunned i didnt know it was so bad. I weigh 146lbs. What are methods to lose body fat at that %age? Cardio or Weights?

Im now doing HIIT and Spinning once a week. I'm also weight lifting twice a week....But still 26.4% is high! I will monitor and check again in a month.

Why do you think that 26 is bad for a woman? It is rather good actually.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

This. 26 is not bad. It's certainly not high enough to be stunning.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I agree, 26 is in the normal range. And remember, body fat percentage is the fat relative to everything else. You can add muscle and improve bf%.

Since you’re under 35, now is a great time to work on adding muscle and strength. After age 35, most people begin losing muscle mass and strength. And it is harder to gain as we age.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »

Yep.

Yep Yep

x3

And 26% is not that bad for a woman. If I remember correctly, 25% is the high side for the ideal range.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    How was your BF% measured?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    How was your BF% measured?

This is a good question. DEXA is most accurate. BIAs and online calculators can be way off.

• GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First of all, if your BF% is accurate, 26% really isn't THAT high. It actually falls under the "normal", "average" and/or "acceptable" range on most charts. Of course it's also about your age, height, body composition and personal fitness goals.

As far as: How do you lose body fat? I think you're on the right track. In terms of nutrition you want to eat at an acceptable deficit and try to hit your macros. In terms of fitness, it seems like you got your plan down. Make sure that on your strength training days you are lifting heavy (as heavy as you can with good form). Cardio will definitely help you get that extra calorie burn. And make sure you take rest days in between the different muscle groups you are working.

I've learned a lot from these people: fitnessblender.com. Check out their Vlogs too, they are very informative.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP I hope you are jost logging a small part of what you eat and that you are not so terrified by the 26% bodyfat that you are trying to survive on 600-900 calories per day, with half of them coming from protein powder. Please?
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    OP I hope you are jost logging a small part of what you eat and that you are not so terrified by the 26% bodyfat that you are trying to survive on 600-900 calories per day, with half of them coming from protein powder. Please?

ohh Nooo! I could never survive on 600-900cals with exercise.... I'm not very religious in logging my food i just logged what i wasnt sure about...

I got measured with calipers at the gym, they said they're pretty accurate.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This. 26 is not bad. It's certainly not high enough to be stunning.

Actually i thought i was around 22 and wanted to be in a range of 18-20 bf, My bmi at 29.9 said i was overweight because i'm short and recommended i weigh from 102lbs-133lbs...which i found low so i think I'll be sticking to measurements and how i look...
  • AllanMisner
    Options

I got measured with calipers at the gym, they said they're pretty accurate.

They can be, if the individual is very experienced, but they can be off, quite a bit off. Assuming they measure at the same spots each time, you should be able to use that to see improvement. But don’t get too wrapped up in the number. It is a calculated estimate.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Thanks...is spinning class considered steady state or HIIT? We shift intensity and speed thrughout the class en sweat like a pig!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks...is spinning class considered steady state or HIIT? We shift intensity and speed thrughout the class en sweat like a pig!

It's interval training but isn't HIIT.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    HIIT works like this: You go full out (like a Tiger is chasing you) for 20 - 30 seconds (which is all you can do), then you go slow to recovery for 60 - 120 seconds (1 to 3 or 1 to 4 work/recovery). Do 5 - 10 rounds of this. The work session is full effort such that if you’re wearing a HRM, you’re at 95 - 105%. In recovery, you want your HRM to get back down to around 60 - 70%.

A good HIIT session lasts less than 30 minutes (my regular one goes 5 minute warm up, then eight 30 - 90 second rounds, with a 5 minute cool down). A good HIIT session is so intense, you can only do one or two a week (unless you’re an elite athlete).

Anything else, where you increase and decrease intensity is just interval training.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    HIIT works like this: You go full out (like a Tiger is chasing you) for 20 - 30 seconds (which is all you can do), then you go slow to recovery for 60 - 120 seconds (1 to 3 or 1 to 4 work/recovery). Do 5 - 10 rounds of this. The work session is full effort such that if you’re wearing a HRM, you’re at 95 - 105%. In recovery, you want your HRM to get back down to around 60 - 70%.

A good HIIT session lasts less than 30 minutes (my regular one goes 5 minute warm up, then eight 30 - 90 second rounds, with a 5 minute cool down). A good HIIT session is so intense, you can only do one or two a week (unless you’re an elite athlete).

Anything else, where you increase and decrease intensity is just interval training.

^^ This and in that high intensity 20 - 30 secs or whatever time the coach has set - forming a sentence is next to impossible. That can be your test.

My HIIT Camp is 45 minutes.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Thank you I'll do that now :smile: